Chapter 29

"So how was your fun night with Danny?" A grin played across Kwan's face when he asked that question. There was something suggestive in that grin that made his friend frown.

"It was fine," Dash answered as he picked up one of the small shoes from the shelf to look it over. "We played space pirates until the boys were too tired to stay awake, and that was pretty much the night." That wasn't all that happened last night, but he didn't think it wise to spill the beans to Kwan about Fenton's breakdown, even if he did share a lot other stuff with his friend. The frown remained on his face as he placed the shoe back on its display. "What did you do after leaving? Hit the bars again?" He lifted a curious brow at his friend.

"I don't go to bars every weekend," Kwan argued as his teasing grin fell into a grumpy frown. "I was thinking, maybe, I should probably just stop going altogether."

"Because you like someone?" This time, Dash was the one wearing the teasing grin as he nudged Kwan in the ribs with his elbow.

"Wow, Dash," Kwan responded in a dull tone. "Are we back in high school?"

"That wasn't a denial." Dash smirked as he continued looking at the selection of children's sized shoes, missing the roll of aqua green eyes.

"Daddy, they feel weird," Xander said, coming up to his father to tug at the blond man's pant leg.

"That's just because you're not used to wearing cleats," Dash explained as he crouch down in front of his son. He pressed at the front end of the cleats with his thumb to check where his son's toes were. There was a bit of room, but it wasn't so much that they would be uncomfortably loose on him. "You just need to get used to them because you need to wear cleats if you're going to play soccer." They still had months before the summer soccer camp started, but Dash decided it would probably be good to get the cleats ahead of time. He also planned to pick up a soccer ball so that they could practice kicking it around some before the camp started.

"Soccer, huh?" Kwan asked as Dash untied the laces so that Xander could remove the cleats. "I'm surprised he didn't want to take up football like his daddy."

"But Lex likes soccer," Xander said, frowning up at the other man.

"And really, as long as he's having fun with a friend, the sport doesn't matter." Dash placed the cleats into their box and handed Xander his own shoes to put on again.

"Yeah, I get that." Kwan nodded. "I never would have stuck with football if I weren't playing with you." He gave his friend nudge in the leg with his foot.

"Those were great times." Dash smiled fondly as he recalled their time playing football together. If Xander ended up with memories like that from playing soccer with Lex, it would be worth letting him try out the sport. Placing the top back on the box, Dash stood with the box in hand. "So we'll pay for these. Then we can hit the toy store." He chuckled when Xander released a happy cheer. "But remember. You can choose one toy." He held up one finger, and the reminder gained him a frown from his son, but Xander nodded his understanding.

Dash led the way to the checkout counter to pay for the cleats. The cashier, a man of average height with brown hair that stuck up at odd angles, rang it up and bagged the box for him. After thanking the man, Dash took the bag, and they left the shoe store. Xander grabbed hold of Dash and Kwan's hands, and the men lifted him up in the air, producing laughter as the boy kicked his feet. They did that whole way to the toy store, lifting Xander up every few steps. When they reached the store, Xander let go of their hands to race off to look at the toys.

"So if you didn't go hang out in a bar last night," Dash started as they slowly followed after Xander, "what did you do?"

"Well," Kwan frowned as he rubbed the back of his neck, "I was just going to grab a quick meal from the grocery store. You know, something I could just shove into the microwave. But, well, I was leaving and ended up running into Danny's cousins."