Chapter 41

Kwan left the house, walking toward his car as he shoved his hand into his pocket to grab his keys. He had to laugh to himself when he recalled the dinner he sat through about an hour ago. Even if there was nothing romantically going on between Dash and Danny, they had that whole family vibe going on, like they would work well together parenting their sons. They had a nice comfort level with the way they talked and acted around each other that Kwan was rather shocked to see. He reached up and scratched a hand through his short locks, never imaging that he would have any sort of feelings toward a version of Danny from an alternate timeline. It sounded like something he would read in a book, not something that would happen to him in real life. He shook the thoughts from his head as he started to insert the key into the lock on the driver's side door.

"I only came out here to tell you no."

Kwan halted at the voice, snapping his head around so fast that he swore it almost broke from the sudden twisting. His aqua green eyes grew wide when they landed on Valerie, who was dressed in a strange black and red suit. Her green eyes were livid with anger as she glared at the man with whom she spoke.

"Will just hear me out before you automatically refuse?" the man questioned with a frown on his dark skinned face.

Valerie folded her arms, looking very much not convinced to listen to a single word the man had to say. "Why should I trust anything the Guys in White have to say?"

Kwan's mouth fell open when he heard her question. What were the Guys in White doing here? He knew that they were a government agency, and naturally they would have facilities throughout the country. But why were they here, at Dash's house? A cold wash of fear spilled down his spine as a thought practically smacked him between the eyes. Danny! But they couldn't possibly know the truth about Danny! His gaze darted back to the house. Danny wasn't exactly fit for a fight in his ill condition, especially if turning into Phantom made his symptoms worse.

"We can try to keep an eye on Danny as much as possible," the man explained, "but obviously, he won't stand for it if he comes to realize our presence." He folded his arms with a grave expression on his face. It was only then that Kwan really took in the man's appearance and noted the complete lack of white attire. The man was trying to keep his identity as an agent for the Guys in White secret. "But you-"

"You really expect to act as a spy for you?" Valerie scoffed with a snort. "In case you are too stupid to realize it, I happen to have a job. Which is several states away from here. And while that not might seem important to you, I rather like my job." She narrowed her eyes. "I'm not going to quit it just to play spy for an organization that I don't trust as hard as I can punch you in the face right now."

"I am well aware of your current employment and location of residency." The man sighed, partially in exasperation. "If you just listen to me, you might change your mind about your refusal."

"Don't count on it." Valerie sounded as stubborn as ever, which brought a smile to Kwan's face.

"Sir," said another man, coming up to salute the one talking with Valerie. "I've done a sweep of the perimeter, and we might have an issue of concern." Bright blue eyes shot toward him, and Kwan jerked back a step, fumbling with his keys that dropped to the ground.

"Thank you, Steven." The man nodded to his subordinate as he frowned in Kwan's direction.

"Man, you guys are so dour." Valerie shook her head, but Kwan didn't miss that flicker of concern in her eyes. "Tell me. Is it ever an issue that your boss is a month younger than you?" She let a sly smirk slip onto her face at their stunned looks. "Oh yeah, I'm just as capable of researching you guys as you are of me. And Kwan is totally not an issue." She unfolded her arms and poked a finger into the boss' chest. "Keep away from Danny, or you'll have me to deal with." She held up a tight fist with a threatening glare.