Chapter 38

His concern hadn't faded even a little by the time he arrived at the front door of the man's house. Vlad frowned at the door as he pressed his finger against the doorbell for longer than necessary. Then he folded his arms and waited impatiently for the man to answer the door. Daniel was lucky so far, having not caught any sort of ghost illness over the years since his accident. It wasn't an overly common thing, though Vlad had gotten sick from a ghost bug on more than one occasion that wasn't related to the ecto acne he acquired during his accident. If it turned out that Daniel's sickness was a result of being half ghost and was something more serious than a simple bug, Vlad might have to take him and his son to find a doctor within the Ghost Zone. He would prefer if that didn't become necessary.

"Coming!" a man shouted from inside the house, and Vlad recognized the voice as the one with whom he spoke on the phone. In a moment, the door opened, and Vlad stared blandly, unimpressed, at the blond man standing before him. "And you are?" The man, Dash he recalled, frowned at him but was clearly distracted as he glanced worriedly back into the house.

"Vlad Masters," he answered, trying to follow the man's gaze into the house, but Vlad couldn't see much beyond the man. "We spoke on the phone."

"Oh, right, yeah." Dash nodded. "So, uh, you can just give me the clothes and be on your way."

"If you don't mind, I'd like to see Daniel." Vlad resisted the urge to snort at the affronted expression twisting upon the man's face. "Yes, I know. You're a doctor, and I'm sure you're a very good one and know exactly what to do to take care of Daniel and his son while they aren't feeling well. But humor me. I care a great deal for the man and want to check on him for myself. There's something private I wish to discuss with him as well."

Dash frowned in hesitation, clearly not wanting to comply with this stranger's wishes. Vlad couldn't exactly blame the man. They knew nothing about one another, and Dash obviously cared enough about Daniel to be greatly worried about his health.

"Vlad?" Daniel questioned puzzled as his voice sounded weak and scratchy. Dash stepped aside, allowing the man on his doorstep to enter the house. Vlad's mouth pulled thin when he looked the younger half ghost over and took in the state of his condition. Daniel looked exhausted with misery writ upon his face, no doubt his illness causing some great unpleasantness. There was a sheen of sweat upon his pale face, and he leaned against the hall's wall to keep himself on his feet.

"I told you to stay in the bathroom," Dash said, frowning with concern.

"I'm feeling a little better," Daniel insisted with a smile forced onto his face, but it was clear from the darkening scowl in Dash's blue eyes that he wasn't buying it.

"Daniel, you remain a terrible liar." Vlad strode forward to stand before the younger man. He stared down at Daniel, who tried to glower angrily back at him. "We should talk. In private." He stressed the word, hoping Daniel was still well enough in mind to catch his meaning.

Daniel shook his head then immediately appeared to regret the action as he held a hand to his head and his face draining several shades of color. "Okay. Remind me shaking head is bad."

Dash was over to his side in an instant. "Let's get you sitting down before we get into serious conversations." He looped one of Daniel's arms over his shoulders and supported the man as he led the way into the front room. Guiding the man over to the couch, he helped Daniel to sit. "Do you think you can manage the tea?"

Daniel winced at the mention of tea. "Sorry about that spill."

Dash shook his head, not looking bothered by the accident. "That was my fault." His blue eyes darted toward Vlad and narrowed as he frowned. "It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get the tea ready." He headed out of the room, presumably to the kitchen.