Chapter Three

Chapter Three (Lucas' POV)

Don't ask me why I made the deal with Ethan.

It definitely wasn't that I needed protection from a bunch of small-minded jocks. I've handled myself against a murderer, a pervert, three adoptions, bullies, and Ethan himself. Handling a couple of guys like that would've been fine- Sort of. After a while...

Okay, not the point.

Point is, I probably did it because he was interesting. Most people didn't get my whole 'don't touch me' rule and just did it anyway, which is why I hated most people in the first place, but Ethan wasn't most people.

He was arrogant, rude, tempermental and I wanted to be around him more. And what better way to do that than pretend I was a sweet innocent little kid? I could do that just fine.

And Ethan was falling for it.

He kept his promise and by the next day, he was stuck to me like glue. He was like my shadow. My huge, hulking, threatening shadow. If people didn't stay away from me before, they would now and I felt a sliver of superiority that I normally didn't feel. Hell, I wasn't even sure if it was superiority or not, it was just the closest word to describe it.

He also refrained from talking to me when he felt I didn't need to be spoken to. It only mildly irritated me that he thought I was ignoring him, when I wasn't. It mostly amused me, though. It just made him more... what was the word? Attractive, maybe?

"Not doing gym again, Patterson?" Coach asked during fourth period, his brows furrowing and his lips tipping down at the corners in a deep frown. His mustache also wiggled when he did that and I wished he'd shave it off. He looked like a creep.

I just shook my head as I dropped my bag by the bench, plopping down as the Coach stood nearby, refusing to leave.

"Then why are you in gym?" He asked. We looked up as the guys and a couple girls started to file in, all laughing obnoxiously and joking around. Ethan came in last and I felt a jolt of excitement when I saw him.

Whoa. Ethan was really interesting apparently.

I'd never gotten this excited over someone before. Something about Ethan just highly intrigued me.

"Ah." The Coach stated as he followed my gaze to Ethan, who walked over and started doing stretches a few feet in front of me to see casual. I looked at the coach, daring to let a quick smile cross my lips before I pulled my book out. Even though it was out, I couldn't concentrate.

I didn't like that part about this obsession with Ethan.

It was like he was the only thing keeping me rooted in reality, which I hated, but at the same time, I liked that I had something else to occupy my time. The romance between the two main characters in my book was starting to get uncomfortable. She was describing the steps of falling in love, if that makes any sense at all.

Instead of reading as usual, I peeked past my dark hair and the dark blue hoodie I borrowed from Blake to watch Ethan stretch.

Man, he was... masculine.

His skin had a slight tan to it from so many football practices during the summer. His hair was black, not as black as mine, but pretty black and short. Right not, it was almost spiky because of the sweat on his face, making his white t-shirt stick to his skin. Because of the sticky, sweaty shirt, you could easily see the outlines of his rippling muscles.

He was reaching over, touching his toes and it was like he felt me staring at him because he glanced behind him as he stood up, his eyes meeting mine. I stared right back at him, totally unashamed for staring at him. He scowled and went back to stretching before he went sprinting around the gym as the coach yelled for everyone to hurry their stretches.