Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine (Lucas' POV)

"Yea, well, that's what you do when you're dating."

I wasn't the only one who stared at Ethan now. He looked calm about it until he seemed to realize what he said and stared right back at us. His face practically glowed like a tomato before he coughed awkwardly, glancing away from us.

"So... You're dating." Oliver said at last and his eyes locked on me accusingly. He didn't scare me, of course. It was his dad that scared me, and mine, but that wasn't the point.

The point was, Ethan said we were dating.

I really don't remember discussing this. I wasn't angry or anything. In fact... I felt strangely warm and fuzzy inside. It was different, weird, but nice. It only made sense. I liked Ethan. Ethan liked me. Dating was what you did when you were in that situation, right? I'd read enough romance books and seen enough soap operas to know... Yet, I never really thought of it as real.

Ethan looked at Nick helplessly. Something passed between them and Nick nodded, stretching and giving Oliver a gentle push.

"I need to piss. Be my bathroom buddy." Nick stated. Oliver made a sour face.

"Bathroom buddy? That's a girl thing-"

"Not if I forget to clean up my work area."

"Eugh, gross, Nick!" Oliver protested, but got up anyway when he saw how uncomfortable Ethan was, just sitting there and shifting every so often. Nick swept his arm around Oliver's waist none-too-discreetly as he led him away.

"Jeez," Ethan sighed miserably after Oliver and Nick had drifted out of earshot, "This sucks. I feel like a hobo walking into a five-star restaurant."

"It is a five-star restaurant." I admitted. Ethan sank low in his seat, covering his face with his hand as he tried to hide his embarrassment. I mentally kicked myself for reminding him why he shouldn't be here... Or maybe, I could remind him why he was here?

I leaned closer to him as he sat up with a depressed sigh, then he stopped short when he saw me watching him. He visibly relaxed, his eyes searching my face before I felt his fingers curl around mine, lacing together.

"I'm glad I came, though." Ethan murmured reluctantly. I felt the corners of my lips tip into a smile. I hadn't smiled this much in years. It felt nice, though. And I was glad Ethan was the one to make me smile. I trusted him, even if he didn't trust himself.

"I'm glad you came too." I replied quietly. Ethan was leaning closer to my face and I was surprised by how excited I was for him to kiss me again. I wanted to feel his lips on mine, even though I knew I'd probably get nervous again and pull away. At least I'd get to enjoy it for a few moments.

"Excuse me." I immediately backed up at the sound of the waitress' voice. Ethan frowned, but didn't let go of my hand as he looked up. The waitress was standing there looking a little irritated as she placed the glasses on the table along with the appetizers.

Fantastic.

I frowned and gave Ethan's hand a squeeze, which he returned.

"So, are your friends coming back any time soon? Are you ready with your orders yet?" She asked, sounding impatient. Either she was crushing big time on Nick- which just made her a cougar because she had to be in her forties at least- or she was a homophobe.

"We'll order for them." Ethan responded dryly.

"Fine. What'll you have?" She asked. Ethan glanced at me and I just nodded for him to go ahead. Ethan glanced at the menu, frowning.