Chapter 4: Treebeard

Aerlinniel POV

King Theoden, Eomer, Gandalf, Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, and I are all riding to Isengard. I am listening to all of the sounds around me, when something catches my attention. And I dismount the horse Legolas and I are riding on and run ahead of everyone.

"Aerlinniel, what are you doing?" Legolas questions, but I do not answer him.

"Aerlinniel?" I hear a voice I have not heard in a while say my name, and I stop running.

"Aerlinniel's here?" The other asks.

"Merry! Pippin!" I call excitingly. A few seconds later, I feel their arms wrap around me and I hug them back. "I have missed you both so much."

"We missed you, too." Merry tells me.

Pippin then laughs, "Ahaha!"

"Welcome, my lords to Isengard!" Merry greets the rest of them, who have just arrived.

"You young rascals. A merry hunt you've led us on and now we find you feasting and... and smoking!" Gimli [complains]

"We are standing on a field of victory enjoying a few well-earned comforts. The salted pork is particularly good." Pippin informs him.

Gimli is now intrigued, "Salted pork?"

"Hobbits!" I hear Gandalf mutter.

"We're under orders from Treebeard who's taken over management of Isengard," Pippin tells him.

I go over to Legolas and hold out my hand. He grabs it and helps me mount the horse. We go further into Isengard and I hear another voice that I have not heard for a long time.

"Hoooom, young master Gandalf, I'm glad you've come. Wood and water, stock and stone I can master, but there is a Wizard to manage here locked in his tower."

"Treebeard!" I say happily.

"Well, Princess Aerlinniel. It has been a long time since I last saw you. How come I haven't seen you and your sister in so long?" He questions.

"Our Kingdom was attacked by a dragon. My sister and I were lucky to get out alive. My parents did not make it though." I tell him a short version of what happened because we do not have enough time for me to tell him everything.

Treebeard, Elarinya and I used to talk for hours. He would tell old tales and sing songs. I have missed him, and I feel guilty that I never did come see him when I was on my many adventures. I am glad that I get to see him now, though.

"I am very sorry. Now, what are we going to do about Saruman?"

"Show yourself," Aragorn commands.

"Be careful. Even in defeat, Saruman is dangerous." Gandalf warns him.

"Well then let's just have his head and be done with it."

"No, we need him alive. We need him to talk." Gandalf tells Gimli.

"You have fought many wars and slain many men Theoden King and made peace afterwards. Can we not take counsel together as we once did, my old friend? Can we not have peace, you and I?" Saruman asks, his voice sound a bit far off and it sounds like it is coming from above. He must be on the top of the tower

King Theoden replies by saying, "We shall have peace. We shall have peace when you answer for the burning of the Westfold and the children that lie dead there! We shall have peace when the lives of the soldiers whose bodies were hewn even as they lay dead against the gates of the Hornburg are avenged! When you hang from a gibbet for the sport of your own crows, we shall have peace!"

"Gibbets and crows! Dotard! What do you want Gandalf Grahame? Let me guess, the key of Orthanc? Or perhaps the keys of Barad Dur itself? Along with the crowns of the seven Kings and the rods of the Five Wizards!" Saruman guesses angrily.

"Your treachery has already cost many lives. Thousands more are now at risk. But you could save them Saruman. You were deep in the enemy's counsel." Gandalf reminds him.

"So you have come here for information. I have some for you." Saruman then explains, "Something festers in the heart of Middle Earth. Something that you have failed to see. But the great eye has seen it! Even now he presses his advantage. His attack will come soon. You are all going to die! But you know this don't you Gandalf? You cannot think that this Ranger will ever sit upon the throne of Gondor. This exile, crept from the shadows will never be crowned King. Gandalf does not hesitate to sacrifice those who are closest to him, those he professes to love! Tell me, what words of comfort did you give the Halfling before you sent him to his doom? The path that you have set him on can only lead to death. "