Chapter 8: Service To Gondor

Hello everyone...sorry I have been gone so long. These past few months have been very stressful for me. Thankfully, things have been getting a lot better. I turned 18, I just graduated, I've started playing the ukulele, and I have gotten two jobs. I am really hoping that this will be a good summer and that I will be updating regularly again. :) Thanks to all of you for being patient with me. <3 Now, on to the chapter!

Aerlinniel POV

I am following Gandalf. Him and Pippin on his horse and me on my horse. We suddenly come to a stop. Listening to the heartbeats, there are a lot of men on horses in front of us.

"Mithrandir!" One of the men calls. "They broke through our defences. They've taken the bridge and the West bank. Battalions of Orcs are crossing the river."

Another man adds, "It is as the Lord Denethor predicted! Long has he foreseen this doom!"

"Foreseen and done nothing!" Gandalf exclaims. He pauses a moment before asking, "Faramir? This is not the first Halfling to have crossed your path." 

"No." Faramir answers. Wait...does that mean?

"You've seen Frodo and Sam?" Pippin asks the question that I was wanting to know the answer to.

"Where? When?" Gandalf questions.

Faramir replies, "In Ithilien. Not two days ago." Thank goodness, they're alive. Faramir continues, "Gandalf, they're taking the road to the Morgul vale."

"And then the pass of Cirith Ungol."

"What does that mean? What's wrong?" Pippin asks, concerned. 

"Faramir tell me everything. Tell me all you know."

~~~

I am sitting with Pippin, I can tell that he is nervous. I would be too if I had to work for Boromir's father, I do not like him. Not at all.

"It will be alright, Pippin. I will stand by your side as long as you need me too." I assure him.

"Thanks, Aerlinniel." He thanks me, his voice shaking a bit. Then he starts talking to himself, "What were you thinking, Peregrin Took? What service can a Hobbit offer such a great lord of Men?"

There is someone approaching us. If I remember correctly, it is Faramir. I am about to say something to Pippin when Faramir speaks first.

"It was well done. A generous deed should not be checked with cold council. You are to join the tower guard."

"I didn't think that they would find any livery that would fit me." Pippin states.

"Once belonged to a young boy of the city. A very foolish one who wasted many hours slaying dragons instead of attending to his duties." Faramir tells him.

Pippin questions, "This was yours?" 

"Yes, it was mine. My father had it made for me." He answers.

"Well, I'm taller than you were then. Though, I'm not likely to grow anymore. Except sideways." Pippin laughs.

"Never fitted me either. Boromir was always the soldier." Boromir? Does this mean...this is Boromir's brother? Faramir continues, "They were so alike, he and my father. Proud. Stubborn even. But strong." Well, that answers my question.

"I think you have strength of a different kind. And one day your father will see it." I smile at this, Pippin is so sweet.

~~~

"Here do I swear fealty and service to Gondor. In peace or war, in living or dying, f... from... from this hour henceforth until my lord release me, or death take me." Pippin stumbles through what he has to say. I feel so bad for him.

"And I shall not forget it, nor fail to reward that which is given." Denethor tells him and pauses a moment before adding, "Fealty with love. Valor with honor. Disloyalty with vengeance." He then starts to talk to Faramir. "I do not think we should so lightly abandon the outer defenses. Defenses that your brother long held intact."

What would you have me do?" Faramir asks. I will not yield the river in Pelennor unfought. Osgiliath must be retaken."

"My lord, Osgiliath is overrun." Faramir tells him.

"Much must be risked in war. Is there a captain here who still has the courage to do his lord's will?" Denethor questions.

"You wish now that our places had been exchanged. That I had died and Boromir had lived." Faramir states.

"Yes. I wish that." Denethor confirms. I want to start yelling at him. 

How could he say that to his son?! I really do not like this man. But, as much as I would like to yell at him, I know it is not a good idea.

"Since you were robbed of Boromir...I will do what I can in his stead." Faramir shakily tells him, I can hear in his voice that he is hurt by what his father said. I would be too if someone were to have said that to me. "If I should return, think better of me, father."

"That will depend on the manner of your return." Denethor sneers.

"Pippin..." I whisper.

"Go with him." He immediately whispers back.

With that, I turn and run out of the room after Faramir.

~~~~~~

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter! I must say I am so happy to be back writing! :) Updates are every Sunday and Thursday! 

Love you my elves from the realm of llamas, 

~Ellethwen <3