Chapter 12: The Black Gate

Aerlinniel POV

Caunedhiel and I are getting ready to leave. I hear Legolas walk over to us.

"Will you come with me for a moment, Aerlinniel?" He asks me, he sounds concerned.

I reply, "Sure. Caunedhiel, I will be back."

Legolas links his arm with mine and leads me away from everyone. When we get outside, he helps me sit down.

"Is everything alright, Legolas?" I question.

He is silent for a moment then says, "I think it would be best if you stay here. You are still healing and not in a good position to fight."

"Legolas, I'm fine." I tell him.

I am not going to be staying here. I know I'm not fully healed, but I do not care. I will not just sit here while the people I care about are fighting. I have to help. I have to protect them.

"No, you are not fine." Legolas then grabs my hands and begs, "Please, promise me you will stay here."

He seems so worried. I do not want to worry him, but I am not staying here.
I then come up with an idea.

"Alright, Legolas, I promise."

He let's out a sigh of relief and helps me stand up then hugs me. He then whispers, "Thank you."

We stand there for a moment before I hear Gimli shout, "Come on you two, we have to get going."

We quickly back away from each other. Great, Gimli ruined our moment. I know my Naneth wants me to tell Legolas how I feel about him. But I can't, not yet. I'll wait until this whole battle is over.

I say my farewells to Gimli, Aragorn, Gandalf, Legolas, and even Merry and Pippin. Caunedhiel said she would stay here with me.

I listened and waited for their heartbeats to be a good distance away before turning to Caunedhiel, "We are still going, but I need your help."

Legolas POV

The black gate stands tall in front of us. I do not have a good feeling about this. But, I do feel better knowing Aerlinniel is safe in Minas Tirith.

Pippin then questions, "Where are they?"

Aragorn rides forward towards the gate, I follow behind him. Every inch closer we get, the worse I can feel the terror of this place.

"Let the Lord of the Black Land come forth!" Aragorn shots. "Let justice be done upon him!"

At first, all there is, is silence. Then the gates opens slightly and out comes one of Sauron's underlings. He rides towards us.

"My master Sauron the Great bids thee welcome." He tells us and gives a nasty smile. "Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me?"

"We do not come to treat with Sauron, faithless and accursed. Tell your master this. The armies of Mordor must disband. He is to depart these lands, never to return." Gandalf commands him.

"Aha! Old Greybeard! I have a token I was bidden to show thee." He exclaims and holds up a mithril shirt. Frodo had a mithril shirt, it must be his.

"Frodo!" Pippin whispers. He then throws the shirt at Gandalf and Pippin shouts, "Frodo!"

"Silence!" Gandalf tells him.

"No!" Merry yells.

Then Gandalf orders, "Silence!"

"The Halfling was dear to thee I see. Know that he suffered greatly at the hands of his host. Who would've thought one so small could endure so much pain? And he did Gandalf, he did."

His words make me sad, but I really do not think Frodo is dead. He can't be. This cannot be the end.

Aragorn moves forward on his horse. "And who is this? Isildur's heir? It takes more to make a King than a broken Elvish blade." Aragorn then quickly unsheathes his sword and beheads him.

Gimli mutters from behind me, "I guess that concludes negotiations."

"I do not believe it. I will not." I agree with Aragorn. I do not believe him either. Frodo is still alive, we cannot lose hope. I know Aerlinniel would not want me to lose hope.

~~~~~~

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter. What do you think Aerlinniel's plan is? Updates are every Sunday!

Love you my elves from the realm of llamas,

~Ellethwen <3

P.s. Sorry, I thought I updated this yesterday but I guess it didn't work. At least I've got it up now. :)