Training

"Come on! Is that all you have?" You flailed, trying to land a blow on the boy that danced around you. Lee's fist brushed against your cheek, then tapped your arm, then your side. You swung your fist desperately, trying to hit him.

"It's not fair!" You wailed. "I can't see you!"

"That does not matter!" Lee suddenly hugged you from behind, stopping your flailing. "You can do this. You will be a splendid ninja, (Y/N)!"

You nodded. "Okay."

"Now. Again!"

Might Gai watched the two children's mock fight. A small boy with a braid danced around a blind girl, tying to teach her to know where her enemies were without her eyes.

"He kinda reminds me of you." Gai looked over his shoulder at Kakashi Hatake. "Especially," he continued. "Around the eyebrows."

Gai rolled his eyes and went back to watching the two children. "I must say, Kakashi, I like their spirit."

"Ooooof course you do."

The sound of wind, a flutter of cloth, the soft swish of hair. It was all louder to you. Lee's breath, the warmth from him when he stepped closer. You could feel it all.

He reached out to tap you again, and you ducked under his arm, grabbing hold of him around the waist and throwing him to the ground. "Got you!"

Breathless, panting, a huge smile on your face, you finally stood victorious. "Yes! You got me!" Lee laughed, pushing himself up and brushing the dirt from his clothes. He swung you around in a hug, and you squeaked in surprise before laughing and going with it.

"Well, look at you two!" Lee put you down and you turned toward where the deep voice had come from. A large hand rested on your head. "I'm sure you'll both turn out to be splendid ninja if you keep working like you are!"

Your heart swelled with pride. No one but Lee had ever shown any confidence in you. You could feel similar emotions coming from Lee. The man walked away and you felt Lee grab hold of your hand. "Come on (Y/N)! We have to train!"

You gave a single nod, following him back to the center of the training ground.

-later-

You knocked into another tree, whimpering as you fell on your butt. "Owowowowow..." Rubbing your head, you got back up and walked around the tree you'd hit, only to walk into another. "Leeeee!!" You wailed his name.

"Come on, (Y/N)." He gently pulled you to your feet. "You can do this. You do not have to see to move. I will not always be able to lead you by the hand, so you will have to learn how to move around places you've never been!"

You didn't say anything, because deep down, you knew he was right. You pulled away from him and slowly started to move through the trees.

After a few hours, you bumped into a significantly less amount of trees. The way the wind sounded off the trunks helped you find your way through, and you occasionally clicked your tongue, making a quiet noise that almost worked like echolocation.

Something swung at your face and you ducked just enough to dodge. Grabbing Lee by the arm, you flipped him over onto his back, planting one foot on his chest to hold him down. "You know, it's considered morally wrong to jump a blind person."

"Suuuuure. I believe you are just making this up as you go along."

"So what if I am?" You offered your hand and pulled him to his feet. "Come on, Dork, let's go get some ramen, or something."