His Fight

Lee ran a hand through your hair as you leaned against him. He looked at you, at your broken eyes he'd grown to love, at the lips he so badly wanted to kiss.

You yawned, then sneezed. "Well, excuse me."

"You are not excused."

"I don't need your permission to excuse myself, Bushy Brow." You smiled, trying not to laugh. Lee snickered and buried his face in your hair.

"You and your killer sarcasm."

"My greatest weapon."

Lee grabbed both your hands in his and your breath caught in your throat. It didn't mean anything, you told yourself. It was just the same as always. But you could feel the emotion that came from him, the hesitation, the uncertainty, the want.

Was he okay?

You turned to ask him what was up, when the proctor for the preliminaries announced that the current round was over and the next was about to begin. You felt Lee stiffen for a second, then he sighed. "My turn, I suppose."

Panic fluttered in your chest for a moment, but you pushed it down. He would be fine. "With me?"

"Hold on." Lee jumped down and ran to the proctor, quickly saying something. You could feel the defeat coming from him when he returned.

"So... You'll be alone?"

"Yes. But do not worry. I will be fine!"

You hugged him, this stupid, big-browed, dork that had stolen your heart. "You better be."

"(Y/N) I-" The proctor yelled at him to hurry up or be disqualified. Lee hesitated a second longer. You felt his emotions steady as he made a decision. Taking your face in his hands, he kissed you.

His lips were soft against yours. Your mind blanked out completely as he wrapped one arm around your waist and pressed your body against his own. You kissed him back as best you could, but then, far too soon, he was gone, whispering "I love you," before jumping down to the center ring to fight.

He loved you. He loved you like you loved him. You hid your face in your hands, blushing deeply.

Gai continued to smack at Kakashi's arm. "Aren't they adorable? Aren't they perfect? They're so much better than yours."

"Gai. Stop. Please."

You shut your useless eyes and listened hard to what was happening. These preliminaries mattered to you now. The round started and you listened to the two move. You heard Lee move, the dull thud of his blows hitting something. 'What is it...?'

"Sand." You jumped at the sound of Neji's voice. "The other is using sand."

"Ah. Thank you, that makes sense."

You pictured the scene as best you could, shaking with tension. You almost fainted when you heard Lee's voice.

"Gate of Opening, OPEN!!!"

The Eight Gates. He was going to use the Eight Gates. Hands fisted in your hair, you whimpered. You could feel the pain that pulsed out from him, from your Lee. It hurt him so much, more with each Gate he forced to open.

Strong arms wrapped around you, and you turned to bury your face in Gai's chest. "It's alright, (Y/N). He'll be fine. Don't worry."

You just kept shaking. Hiding your face didn't help, you could still hear it, could still feel his pain. When he couldn't hold the Gates open any longer, when he had to drag himself over the ground, it took everything you had not to start screaming.

Lee's scream of agony cut through you and you couldn't stop it anymore. Pulling away from Gai, screaming with your head between your hands, you collapsed, unconscious.

Gai knelt beside you, worried, but then he looked up. That Sand ninja, Gaara, was still coming after Lee. He was going to kill him. Leaving you with Neji, he jumped in the way. Lee would automatically lose, but Gai would rather he lose than die.

Muttering broke out. The teacher's weren't supposed to interfere. Who cares? Gai didn't.

"Why?"

Gai blinked, confused at Gaara's question.

"Why save him...?"

Ah. So that's what he meant. "Because." Gai spoke loudly, not caring who judged him. "He's is my sweet, lovable protégé. More than that... He's like my son."

More muttering broke out, but Gai ignored that, too. Paramedics ran out, some looking over Lee, while a few went to where you had collapsed.

"How is he?" Gai could barely ask the question.

"It's bad. The damage in his arm and leg... I don't think he'll ever fight again."