Sensei

You sat next to Lee, your sightless eyes staring at your lap. You reached up to touch the Leaf Village headband tied securely on your forehead. You still couldn't believe it. You'd made it. You were Genin now.

You and Lee both had made it through on Taijutsu and willpower alone.

"Next team," you raised your head as Iruka continued naming the new squads of three. Who would you get put with?

"Neji Hyuga. Rock Lee and (Y/N)." Your heart skipped a beat. You'd be with Lee! "And Tenten."

There was a quiet murmur in the crowd at the now four-man squad. But it quickly quieted down as the other teams were named.

You didn't really know who the other two were, and in all honesty you didn't really care that much. You were with Lee!

"Iruka Sensei!" You awkwardly hugged your teacher, who ruffled your hair.

"Haha! I take it you're happy with your team?"

"Yeeessss!!"

"But is it really fair for one squad to have four members?" The voice was cool, and sort of deep. You didn't recognize it.

"Well, Neji,-" Ah. So that was Neji. "-we decided that since (Y/N) er..." He patted your head again before continuing. "Well, seeing as (Y/N) can't really function without Lee, we decided to count them as one person."

Neji didn't respond, and when you pulled away from Iruka, the vacated space in your arms was quickly filled by Lee. He hugged you fiercely, laughing. "I am glad we can still train together!"

"Me too, Lee," you said, hugging him back. "Me too."

"Hey! How's it goin' everybody?! Life treatin' ya good?" Your head whipped around at the loud, familiar voice.

'It's that guy...' You thought. 'So he's one of the Sensei too?'

"All right, Gai," Iruka said, motioning the energetic man toward your little group. "Those are yours."

"Of course they are!" Gai practically skipped toward you four. You could feel Tenten backing away a bit and Neji huffed. But you and Lee stood up, happy at your new teacher.

"All right everyone!" Gai said. "Follow me! Hmm?" You sensed him lean down, his face close to yours. You could feel his breath on your face. "Remind me, do those work?"

You figured he meant your eyes and you said, "N-No sir. I'm blind."

"Well, alrighty then. ONWARD!!" Gai marched out of the room, the four of you following.

'Does he not care that I can't see?'

"All right, now tell me why you want to become ninja." Gai looked over his four students. A Hyuga, with an exceptional Byakugan. A little brunette with double buns. A blind girl. And a boy with no Ninjutsu. This was going to be fun.

Lee was practically jumping in place, and Gai motioned for him to say his piece. "I want to prove that I can be a splendid ninja too!" He practically yelled the words. "Even if I do not have Ninjutsu or Genjutsu! I want to prove it to the whole world!"

You stood up beside and gently took his hand. "And I want to see him do it." You said quietly.

'That's so cute.' Gai thought, looking at the two of you. 'She really loves him.'

Lee and Neji started bickering, and Gai smiled. 'That determination will do them good,' he thought, watching as you joined the argument on Lee's side. 'Heaven knows they'll need it.'