Chapter 4: Leg up

----------COMMENT YOU WHORES----------

Jeffie.

Jeffie, why did you leave? Why did you all leave? I was so alone.

That's alright, it doesn't matter. You're all here now...you'll always be here...

"JEFFIE! Come on, wake up, don't die on me!" There was a sharp stinging on my cheek, and I jolted awake with a gasp, my eyes wide. What the hell?

"Jeffie," Lance was kneeling in front of me, while I was on my back on the ground. It was kind of blurry, so I reached up to rub at my eyes. Big mistake.

"Ah shit! Sand, sand in my eyes!" I squeezed my eyes shut, then gasped again as water was splashed into my face.

"Keaton! Don't be a dick." I heard Elijah snap. I spit water from my mouth, and felt around with my hands until I found someone's shirt. I wiped my eyes off, then looked up into the amused face of Lance. I grinned sheepishly, patting his shirt off.

Wait a second.

Was that water?!

"What the hell is going on? Starting with how in the hell I'm alive, seeing as I was just in quicksand-AND WHERE IS FELIX?!" I scrambled to my feet and scanned the area wildly, hoping he wasn't dead when-"Whoa." I was stopped in my tracks by the vast pool of water in front of me.

Where all the quicksand had been was now covered in deep, glistening water that was so fresh and clean I shimmered like Lady Gaga on a normal day. I dropped to my knees, touching the surface with my fingertips, watching mesmerized as it rippled beneath my touch.

"H-How did this get here? Is this real?" Lance knelt next to me, a small smile on his face.

"Yeah. After I went into the quicksand to get you guys-"

"HUBFLGFGF YOU DID WHAT?" I shouted, giving him an incredulous look. He grinned sheepishly.

"I know, I know. Just let me finish. After I did that, I was almost instantly under the surface of the quicksand. But the weirdest thing happened..." He trailed off, gazing into the water along with me this time. "It was like, as soon as I went in to save you the danger was subsiding. The sand became thinner, and next thing I know I'm swimming in just brown water. I managed to find you and Felix-who's unconscious over there by the way-and pulled you out." I looked to my left, where Felix lay with his eyes closed. Keaton was beside him, leaning on his elbows.

I shook my head, furrowing my eyebrows. "But how did it get this clear?" He shrugged his broad shoulders, heaving a sigh.

"I'm not sure. Eventually all the muck was replaced with this clear water. All I know is that something extraordinary is going on here. And I don't think it's decided whether it wants us to live...or die." 

I gulped, turning my gaze back to the water. Suddenly I wasn't very thirsty anymore.

"But hey! At least you're alive, eh?" Elliot said, giving me a smile. I scowled at him, then glared down at the ground.

"This is all such bullshit," I mumbled. "I'm tired and wet and I want to go home. I always wanted an adventure with a promise of an orgy later in the day, but this is too much peril for my taste."

"We need to keep moving," Keaton said from his position next to Felix. "Drink as much water as we can possibly inhale without drowning, and go. I don't like how that crap just turned into water. We have to find a way out." The rest of us nodded in agreement for once. Felix started to stir, and when his eyes opened fully he gasped and sat up straight, panting and feeling his wet clothes.