Chapter 5: Narrow

----------CoMmEnT-----------

 Basically, we had three options here. One, we could say, "See ya, Keaton! Hope the inside of a spider is comfortable." Then we could run for it and live with the  guilt.

Two, we could all drop to the ground and play dead, hoping it doesn't eat us.

Three, we could fight back and save Keaton. I was kind of voting for option one, personally, but apparently option three was Felix's grand idea.

When Felix ran out of rocks to throw at the thing, he widened his eyes and realized he had made a horrendous mistake. The spider screeched in fury, ignoring the Keaton sized dinner beneath it to go after Felix instead. Shit. Well, I guess it's time to be chivalrous.

I hooked my foot on the nearest root sticking out of the ground for leverage, and summoning all my courage latched on to one of the spider's remaining seven legs. Aha! Now it'll lose another leg-

"AAAAHHH!" I shrieked as the root snapped, my foot flying free and my body soaring through the air as the force of the spider's charge flung me forward, and I crash landed right into Elliot, both of us tumbling to the floor in a heap. "Oof!" He grunted, me having landed butt first onto his chest.

"Jeffie," He coughed. "Get off! We'll get eaten, you fatty!" I scrambled to my feet, pulling him with me as the spider hissed at all of us, now standing in a circle around it.

"We're screwed." Keaton squeaked, making me raise an eyebrow. I did not think his voice could go that high. The spider seemed to be calculating now, eyeing each of us as if deciding which to eat first.

I swallowed hard, staring up at the spider in utter terror. How in the hell does one even attempt to beat something like this? I just want to go home, sit on my couch and eat Cheetos while watching Netflix. Not facing a huge ass spider in some jungle in the middle of nowhere.

"Guys," Lance whispered, flinching as the spider made a horrible clicking noise, apparently still deciding between white or dark meat. "Over there, behind Elijah and Felix is a crevice. I think we can all fit if we hurry."

I looked over to where he suggested, though I was hesitant to take my eyes off the spider. There, just behind Felix and Elijah was a crevice, actually big enough to be considered a small cave. It was half covered in long green vines.

But there was one problem: sitting between Lance, Elliot, me and the cave, was giant, hairy, ugly, seven legged spider. Keaton Felix and Elijah were just fine, they could easily drop into the cave and be done with this. Not so much for us.

"How the balls are we supposed to get over there?" I hissed, almost wetting my pants as the spider trained it's eyes on me. No one had the time to answer as the spider let out a mind numbing, loud screech and snapped it's fangs towards me.

I shrieked like a schoolgirl and dived to the side, this time knocking into Lance and sending us both to the ground. The spider was on us again almost immediately, and if Lance hadn't rolled us out of the way at the last second we'd be digesting right now.

Lance and I scrambled to get up, dashing behind a tree just in time for the spider to strike it's fangs into it. "Guys! Come on, make a break for the crevice, you can make it!" We heard Elliot shout. I panted, both from fear and physical exertion.

"On three?" Lance breathed, leaning closer and looking down at me intensely. I gulped and nodded, not trusting my voice to stay steady. I so did not want to do anything on three.

"One," he counted, the sound of the spider's legs stomping around in fury making my stomach turn.

"Two,'' On instinct I grabbed Lance's hand, clutching it tight and getting ready to run faster than I ever had in my life.