Chapter 7: Midnight Memories

---------- Comment pretty please? It inspires me to write more ^_^ ---------- 

"I GAVE JEFFIE A BONER, I GAVE JEFFIE A BONER, WOOP!" I flushed red as Elliot shouted this at the top of his lungs.

"Y-You did not! It was morning wood, you dick!" I snapped. We had been walking for about a half hour, trying to find a stream or something, and the whole time Elliot would not shut up about my morning wood...alright so maybe it was kind of a boner. Don't you judge me.

"Ha ha! It's okay Jeffie, you're not the only one who's gotten a little hot over my fondue." Elliot boasted dumbly.

"That doesn't make any sense, you twit. I didn't have any of your 'fondue' which is probably more on the mayonnaise side anyways." Lance chuckled at the insult while Elliot clicked his tongue disapprovingly.

"Not true. I can prove it if you want."

"Not a chance in hell." I said. Which wasn't true either, but I wasn't gonna go stroking his ego. I'd certainly stroke something else of his, but not his ego. Nope.

"Ugh, would you two just stuff it? I'm parched, we're almost out of berries, and I need a bath." Elijah complained, picking his shirt away from his sweaty chest.

"I second that," Felix mumbled dejectedly. "I haven't gone this long without personal hygiene since my meme phase." I shivered at that.

"Oh, bad flashbacks, bad flashbacks," Elliot said, smacking the side of his head like he was trying to get water out of his ear.

"How about all of you shut up, before I go ask that spider to kill me so I can be rid of you all," Keaton said.

"Oh, no, please don't. I'll miss you so much," I replied sarcastically. He glared.

"Okay, okay," Lance stepped in, coming to stand beside me. Oh geez, my skin is tingling. I'm not sure if I'm attracted to him or having some sort of allergic reaction.

"Look, once we find water we can argue all we want. But right now I don't think any of us have the hydration to keep going on fighting. What do you say, huh, Jeffie? Guys?" Lance said. He gave me a wink, and I looked away so I didn't blush like I knew I would, embarrassingly. 

While I was looking away, I saw someone off in the distance. I brushed past everyone, ignoring their questions. I started to walk faster, trying to catch a real glance. It almost looked like a little boy...wait, there's two! I jogged after the two little boys, but I didn't seem to be able to keep up with them. 

Finally they stopped, and I realized I was at the edge of the jungle again. The beach was ahead of me, and I stopped before I got to the sand. The two boys ran together, laughing, and I watched in amazement as they joined five other young boys who were playing a few feet away in the sand. 

I watched closely as they played, feeling a strange sense of nostalgia watching them interact. It felt as though I were visiting a memory that I could not remember. I stepped onto the sand, my feet leading me forward beyond my control. I could hear the boys' laughter, see their smiling faces, and yet I couldn't recognize them. 

I counted seven of them, making sandcastles and splashing in the waves when-"Oh! Sorry." One of them bumped into my right leg. I looked down, and what I saw made me gasp and scramble back. I tripped, falling onto my back in the sand. 

That little boy I first saw earlier....was me. A young, happy me, playing with that other boy. All the boys now came up to me, standing around me in a circle. 

"Jeffie? Are you okay?"

"What happened? What's wrong?" They asked. There were six now. Where is the seventh? There were seven before. Where is he?

I looked around myself anxiously, all the faces of the boys blurry except for mine. Who are they? Why don't I remember this? 

Then, slowly, one by one the faces started to morph. My face began to pale as the boys became recognizable. Lance, Elliot, Elijah,  Keaton, Felix and I, all much younger than the present, stood around me.

"W-What the hell?!" I exclaimed standing and walking backward until I bumped into another. I turned around slowly. The seventh boy. He stood before me, staring up at me blank, white eyes. His features were still blurry. 

"Jeffie," he said, his voice soft and sweet but his face twitching and spasming out of focus like one of those horror movie ghosts. I tried to back away but his hand lashed out and attached to my wrist in a painfully inescapable grip. "Why did you forget me, Jeffie? Why?" 

"I-I don't know," I stammered. "I don't remember." His face spasmed again, more violently his time. His grip on me tightened, making me flinch. 

"WHY? WHY DON'T YOU REMEMBER? WEREN'T WE FRIENDS, JEFFIE? WEREN'T WE?!" He cried, holding my wrist insanely tight and shaking it with both hands now. 

"I-I'm sorry! Please, let me go!" I shouted back, pulling and tugging and trying to get away. The wind picked up around us, making the sand swirl around like a dust devil. 

I covered my eyes with my free arm, and the boy let out and ear piercing scream that brought me to my knees, the sand now a storm around me.

The last thing I remember before blacking out was the boy's voice, so quiet I was sure I heard it in my head, saying, "Why?" And the world turned dark.

----------:O What do you guys think is even happening?-----------