Chapter 4

" A New Zone"

Lumiere

The car ride was not silent. They kept asking questions. Endless questions.

"You are Simeon's daughter, right?" Chris asked while driving. Right hand on the lever, left on the steering wheel.

I hummed an answer. "Legally, why?"

It took him a while to answer. I did wish he didn't.

He took a heavy sigh before answering, "We're supposed to hate you. Blame you, even."

That's not a surprise.

Simeon loves messing with multiple creatures. Simeon loves wars. Simeon loves a mess. That's why he kept me. Simeon causes problems and I am always his scapegoat. A goddamn scapegoat.

Lime's eyes which are glued to the window since we left the house suddenly went to Chris's side. "But we don't. Do we?"

I saw his eyes go into the mirror to look at me. He gave me a flat smile. "We don't."

Lime nodded a few times as his eyes went back to where they were earlier. Everyone else went back to their attraction until another question arrives.

"How old are you again?" Mason asks this time. He plays with Sky's hair and the said guy lets him.

"17, I think." I heard Khal snort beside me. Yuel nudged at him lightly but Khal can't help but chuckle.

"You think?" Yuel asked for him. His eyes are full of something I could not measure. It could be fear but it felt gentle.

I did not want to answer their questions. It reminded me of those times inside that dark room. It felt like everyone was watching me again. Asking things that may make them pity me. I admit I had hoped that they can save me from everything but here we are.

I tried to analyze their faces. Not everyone was looking but that doesn't mean that they weren't listening.

I wanted to be honest.

I let a heavy sigh find its way out of my system and formed my answer, "Counting years when you're locked up makes one feel vulnerable."

I expected an awkward silence but no. They were not alarmed by my answer. Some of them had small nods while some fixed their positions.

"And you don't like feeling vulnerable." Winter from the shotgun seat said.

"Who likes it?" I shifted in my seat and gave him a weird stare before focusing my eyes on the road.

He looked back at my place and smiled. His eyes formed crescents. "I like it."

He glanced at Yuel. "It makes me feel emotions and grounded. Makes me feel alive."

I didn't answer him. I didn't feel like I had to. I wanted silence.

He looks back at me again, "However, everyone has different preferences." He finally decided to tear his eyes from mine. "Just for you to know, It's okay to be vulnerable. We have Yuel to heal."

"Hmm, that explains why his blood resists the poison yesterday," I murmured and the said boy suddenly chokes out on something.