Chapter 7

"Exiled Princess"

Winter and Lumiere walked with an awkward silence between them. Winter wanted to apologize for his friend's actions, but Lumiere looked like she didn't give a fuck so he stayed silent. To his surprise, she talked first.

"How far is the cafeteria?" She asked as they turned to a corner. A bustling place filled with chatter and the pungent aroma of coffee greeted them.

"Uh," Was all Winter could manage.

"Nevermind." She said.

They weaved through the crowds of students around the pair. Some looked and whispered while looking at them. Some were shocked by Lumiere's presence that they curtly vowed as the girl passed by them.  Her aura screamed enigma. This attracted more attention but the girl didn't acknowledge them. She only wanted food.

But Winter heard their whispers.

"The girl is new."

"Who is she under?"

"Probably another ranger from Mora."

"A trash could only go with trash."

One hushed voice among the crowds sent a shiver to Winter's spine. "Tell whoever's in the office that the crows got a new feather."

When the menu on the chalkboard became clear for them to read, Winter and Lumiere stopped.

"Tell me what you want. I'll order tapos ikaw na yung humanap ng table." Winter said in an attempt of making the girl comfortable with his presence. Lumiere was grateful for it.

"I'll have a drink. Whatever you think is not too sweet or sour but not coffee." Winter nodded as she goes on her instructions.

"No food? I can suggest their chicken tenders. Mason loved them." He said with a wide grin but Lumiere shakes her head. 

"I can't eat foods as you do. My guts only accept specific dishes. I'll go." She said and was about to leave Winter in the middle of the cafeteria when she came back and gave her a pat and a small smile. Winter returned stiffly.

The girl found an empty table near the entrance where she leaned on her palm and observed the students around her. Though she has been observing them since they walked inside the building, Lumiere noticed their uniforms being different from her team's. The team has cream, navy, and wine red colors but these students have a wide variety of uniforms in both colors and designs. There are groups with lush green clothes while some are vested in sky blue, and vermillion capes. Some wear shorts and some girls wear better uniforms than Lumiere did.

Although annoyed, she couldn't help but chuckle at the subtle attempt to display hierarchy. Lumiere understood that the design of the uniform equals the power that the group holds. If she placed her team in the triangle, Golden Phoenix would place in the same place as the middle groups or maybe, not less than slaves but more than commoners.

It was only a few minutes when Lumiere felt tingles on the tips of her finger. Before she knew it, the girl found herself teleported in front of the cafeteria, shocking a few bystanders.

She quickly searched for the guy with blonde mullet but a scoff greeted her instead.

"I am not even surprised you're here." Saad ng isang lalaki na may katangkaran at kapansin pansing kaputian. Hindi siya pinaglaanan ng atensyon ni Lumiere.

The girl cast a spell instead as her eye analyzed the area.

"Manifesto." She uttered but the wind moved for a second before dying again.