Prologue: Boring Day

The grade ten students in Mr. Lancer's English class were bored, really really bored. Mr. Lancer was reading the Merchant of Venice to the class. Nobody was really listening, the overweight teacher always managed to turn a somewhat interesting story into the most boring thing on the history of earth.

The teacher finally noticed the lack of laughter at a particularly, or at least what he thought, funny scene.

"Is this boring you people?" The teacher asked angrily looking up from the manuscript.

Much to the teacher's chagrin, half the class found the reading to be perfect nap time material, including Daniel Fenton. The other half were either passing notes or actually whispering to each other. Only Mikey and Lester seemed to be paying attention.

The teacher sighed in self pity. "Ms. Manson, please wake up Mr. Fenton. Mr. Foley, I will smash that PDA. Ms. Dekorte please stop talking. Mr. Baxter, Ms. Sanchez can wait to hear about your epic date. Next note I see gets read to the class."

Everyone groaned but obeyed their teacher. They knew that they could go back to their tasks once the teacher submerged himself in the story again.

"Nice of you to join us Daniel." The teacher glared the teen woke up.

"Nice to be awake." Daniel yawned. Samantha cuffed him in the back of the head.

The teacher rolled his eyes wishing his class loved the classics as much as he did. He began to read once again until he was interrupted by the intercom.

"Mr. Lancer, please report to the office about your purple car."

Everyone visibly paled. That was code. It meant that the school was going into lockdown.

Mr. Lancer shut off the lights. The class quietly walked to the furthest corner. This wasn't a ghost, the attacks happened so often the school found it pointless to use the signal.

The lockdown signal was only used when an intruder was in the building. Someone was trying to hurt people in the school.

Everyone moved to the back wall, afraid for their lives. The nerds and losers were in the front row, the jocks behind them and the cheerleaders in the very back.

Mr. Fenton was the only one who didn't go to the back of the wall. He walked towards the door. This wasn't a drill, he knew it, the class knew it. Lancer looked way too scared for this to be a drill.

"Mr. Fenton," Lancer hissed, "come here and sit down!"

Daniel shook his head and started turning the door handle. Several class mates urged him to come back while a few just egged him on.

Before he could open the door, someone grabbed him, picked him up and carried him to the group.

"You have a death wish Fenturd." His bully, Dash Baxter whispered forcing him to sit, surrounded by jocks.

"If only you knew." Danny whispered quietly, so that only a few people heard, then said a little louder, "Please let me go. I can save us."

"You are not sacrificing yourself Daniel." his teacher told him.

Everyone leaned against the walls. The nerds readied themselves to be used as a human shield by a jock. Daniel made a move to leave the group huddle. He felt a hand grab his shoulder.

"Fenton what are you doing?" a jock named Mike whispered.

"I'm going-" he whispered back before he was interrupted.

"Fenton are you suicidal? Someone dangerous is out there! You can't go" Mike whisper yelled. He pushed Daniel further into the group. He crashed into a girl named Melody.

"Hey Melody." the jock whispered. "Keep track of suicidal."

Several nerds contemplated running to the door, as to escape being shields but Kwan's glare stopped them.

Melody gave her charge a confused look and whispered, "Why do you have to go?" Her hand gripped his shoulder tightly.

"Trust me." He begged her.

Melody shook her head. "Only if you trust me."

They heard screams and gunshots. Paulina whimpered, Dash stared at the door, and Daniel flinched at each sound.

Finally he stood up and whispered, "I'm going ghost!" white rings surrounded his midsection, much to the class's awe. The rings disappeared when a bullet hit him at the waist. Blood started to make his shirt red. He fell to the ground.

Paulina screamed, Melody cried out in shock, and Samantha tried to move towards her crush. Everyone froze when the door opened.

A man walked in twirling his gun. He wore a suit and tie, as if he just walked out of a business meeting. He gave a crazy grin at the cowering students. What caught Mr. Lancer's eye was the man's glowing red eyes.

The man was possessed.

Daniel stood up once more.

"Mr. Fenton are you crazy?" Mr. Lancer hissed.

"No, he has a hero-complex." Tucker, Daniel's best friend, whispered softly. Only Melody seemed to have heard that comment.

The possessed man bore a crazy smirk. The cheerleaders ducked beneath their jock boyfriends. "I bear a message from Plasmius. He says thank-you for changing the past. He says your reward is... DEATH!" The man then raised his gun and shot again at the injured teen

This time man hit him in the chest above the heart. Once again the cheerleaders shrieked while the males of the class tried to hide the view. Only Melody and Samantha were stuck looking at the injured boys.

The gunman picked a new target: Paulina. The girl screamed as the bullet was fired. That bullet never hit her. Fenton had jumped up at inhumane speed, and took that bullet as well. Poor Daniel's eyes finally closed.

"That was unexpected, but it won't save the rest of you." The gunman smirked and pulled out a second pistol. "Say good night!"