Chapter 6: The Train to Nowhere

You throw your leg over your bike as Candy hesitantly climbs behind you; she wraps her arms around your stomach and pulls the air out of your lungs. Her face is up against your shoulder blade as you kick off of the dirt with your left leg. Your bike begins collecting speed as it drifts down the empty road.

"There's nothing to be afraid of." You try and comfort Candy with your soothing tone, but your voice only seems to put her more on edge.

"What if we crash?" You chuckle, Candy seemingly becomes more assertive because of it. "I'm serious! We could get really hurt."

"We won't crash, Candy. Trust me, I've done this a million times." Candy's eyes flicker with a little bit of hope.

"Are you sure?" You simply nod and Candy squeezes you even harder, not because she is afraid, but because she feels safe within your presence.

A couple of blocks later, you slowly came to a halt on the side of the road. A truck passes, there's a man listening to country music with his windows rolled down. Candy hides behind you as the man glances at the two of you. His gaze adjusts back to the road and Candy pops her head out from under your arm.

"Are were there yet?" She asks, you rub her head and she begins to purr loudly in reply.

"We are." You help Candy off by picking her up and gently placing her back down on the sidewalk. She seems more comfortable than she did yesterday when you first found her.

But you have no time to dwell on your thoughts, Candy grabs your arm and drags you to the nearby train station.

"Why here?" You ask, Candy shrugs her shoulders.

"I feel something about this place...at least I think I do." You nudge Candy as you walk past and she starts skipping in order to keep pace with you.

"You think we'll find her." Candy shrugs once more.

"Maybe...what do you think?"

"I have hope." You scale the steps alongside Candy. She keeps her eyes on you the entire time, blushing when the two of you make eye contact. "Look, there's nobody here."

"It's so...empty." Candy mimics your movements and strides into the empty train station. Suddenly, the sound of a train approaching fills your ears. You hear a high pitched whistle penetrate your eardrums. "I don't like that sound!" Candy covers her ears as the train comes to a screeching halt.

The wind causes your jacket to flap in the wind and Candy's ears to wiggle.

"Should we...get on?" Candy looks into your eyes and takes a hold of your bicep.

"If it means spending more time with you...then yes." You can't help but smile at Candy's outgoing attitude. Before you and her have time to board the train, a very short girl, being the only passenger on the train, steps out into the open.

"She's the only passenger...how strange." Candy nods her head. Your eyes trail the young girl as she retreats from the station.

"Should we follow her?"

"She is wearing a hat, that could be to hide her ears. And her hair...it's white." You grab Candy's hand and drag her in the direction that the girl went.

"It kinda looks blue." You shake your head.

"Nope...definitely white." You try to figure out for yourself if you're actually following this girl because she's the last cat girl or because she's just really cute.

" You try to figure out for yourself if you're actually following this girl because she's the last cat girl or because she's just really cute

By the time you and Candy are halfway down the street, you've already lost her.

"Shit!" Candy slaps your arm.

"Bad word!"

"You should listen to the girl...she has a point." You turn around, startled. The white haired girl is slowly making her way towards you and Candy. Her stride is casual and filled with swag. She tilts the brim of her hat upwards and greets you. "Howdy."

"Um...hello." Candy is shaking in fear at your side. You find yourself at loss for words, does she know that you and Candy were following her?

"You two were following me...why?" That answers that then...

"We weren't...we were just-"

"Cut the bullshit." Candy flinches at the white haired girl cursing. "I know you were following me, so stop trying to make up silly excuses and tell me the truth!"

"Ta-take off your hat." She raises an eyebrow.

"Why?" You gulp down your own spit, you didn't think this far ahead...

"Please, just do it and we'll get out of your hair." The girl studies you for a moment.

"I won't, not for a scumbag like you, preying on young girls...disgusting!" She spits on the pavement. "Is this girl here one of your slaves?"

"I'm not a slave." Candy says in a confident tone. "Please, miss, just take off your hat."

"NO! JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!" Out of nowhere, you rush in, the girls eyes widen and you go to tear off the hat. She snatches your wrist and knees you in the gut. "Fuck off." You curl into a ball as the girl marches away. Candy kneels down next to you and cradles you in her arms.

"Are you alright?" You shake your head.

"Does it look like I'm alright?!" Candy's expression falters. She looks up, filled with determination. She sprints forward, the white haired girl turns around and is unable to stop as Candy grabs her hat and pulls it into her chest.

Candy, shivering on her knees with the white girls hat in hand, looks up in awe.

"You're a-"

"...neko." The white haired girls cat ears twitch and she looks disappointed in herself for not being able to keep her most precious secret.