Chapter 9: Road Trip

"NINA, I SWEAR TO GOD!" You jerk the wheel to the right, the car swerves violently. The wheels make a loud screeching noise as you pull into a gas station. You slam your foot on the breaks, the car comes to an abrupt stop and it lurches forward. You look at the back seat and see Nina sinking into Jezebel's breast.

"I didn't mean it..." In a soft voice, Nina makes your heart feel a sense of remorse and regret for raising your voice. Sighing deeply, you fall back into your partially reclined seat.

"Its alright, I'm sorry for yelling." Visibly annoyed, you forcefully push the car door and it swings open. Jezebel comforts Nina in the back seat. Yoko, in the seat opposite of you, hops out and follows you into the gas station.

"Hey, wait up!" She puts her hand on your shoulder. You jerk it forward and Yoko does a little shuffle dance in order to find her footing. "What's your problem, man?"

"What the hell did I do to deserve this?" You throw your head down and chuck a bag of chips to the ground. "The hell did I do to deserve this burden of trying to get all of you home?"

"Because it was your destiny," Yoko gets uncomfortably close and she puts her hand on your shoulder and this time you don't pull back, "look, I'm not one to use that excuse much but in this case it's the best way to explain what's happening. It might sound foolish to you, but I promise that you were meant to do this...to help us get back home." You scoff.

"Destiny? I bought a stupid fucking antique in a shop." You throw a couple of bags of chips, as well as drinks onto the counter and purchase them as quickly as possible. Yoko buys something, something you don't see. She's quick to stuff it in her pocket.

You hop back in the car, Yoko does the same. The silence is enough to make everyone feel uncomfortable. Candy has her hands in her lap, she's keeping her eyes glued to the back of Yoko's seat.

Nina is still in Jezebel's arm, quietly sobbing into Jezebel's hat. You roll onto the road, turning the wheel gently.

"Look, Nina, I-" Before you have time to finish, two bright lights emerge from the darkness. A loud horn fills your ears as a truck slams into the side of your vehicle.

It flips over, the screams of your four companions increases as the car hits the ground, rolling over once more for good measure. Small pieces of glass litter the ground, you hear someone groaning as they lift themselves up.

Head throbbing, you open the car door, which is smashed in and dented. You limp towards the light then collapse onto your knees. Holding your rib, you crawl forward.

"NINA! JEZEBEL! YOKO! CANDY! ANYONE!" You fall onto your back, the glass crunches beneath you. You turn your head and that's when you see it...

A puddle of blood...

Broken bones...

Heavy breathing...

"My god..." You whisper.

...

You place the antique on the glass table. The four girls (Candy, Yoko, Nina, and Jezebel) stare at it with odd expressions. Candy tilts her head, examining the object further.

"Guys, I don't mean to alarm you or anything, but this might be the key."

"To what?" Jezebel asks.

"I swear to god if you're wasting my time, Y/N...." Yoko chimes in. Jezebel rubs Nina's head, causing Nina to purr quietly.

"I'm not wasting your time, I promise. Look at this." You take the object and show the girls a button on the bottom.

"Its a button!" Candy points out happily.

"That it is, Candy. This item, this antique, is the same one that I used to get you all here. At least, I think it is. I bought it and then Nina showed up at my house on the same day."

"Get to the point, Y/N." Yoko gives you a threatening glare.

"Well, I found out yesterday that there's a third one, a third antique. And there's a picture on the inside here." You point towards the small image. "I think this might be your guys home." Yoko scoffs.

"Wait..." Nina stands up and speaks in an eerie tone, "I remember that place. Home." She whispers. "I remember my home."

"Nina, what do you remember?" She shakes her head, slumping back down.

"Light headed, can't think."

"Anyway, I think that if we press the three buttons, it'll take you guys home."

"Three buttons...there's four of us." Yoko points out. You exchange glances with her.

"How far is it?" Jezebel asks, rubbing Nina's hair.

"Far..."

"And how will we get there?" You take a deep breath.

"Looks like we'll be going on a road trip, ladies."

...

Yoko accompanies you into the garage. You're forced to kick the back door open because it was stuck. You pull a dusty blue tarp off of your dad's old car. Putting your hands at your hips, you feel a sense of accomplishment.

"This is it?" Yoko asks, circling the vehicle. You give her a dirty look and she shrugs. "We could do better, you know."

"Isn't this like the first time you've seen a car?" Yoko nods.

"I don't need to have seen a bunch to know that this one looks shittier than the rest." You punch Yoko's shoulder playfully.

...

You pull through the driveway and onto the street. Nina and Candy stick their heads out of the window, Jezebel smirks as they stick their tongues out into the cool air. Yoko has the brim of her hat covering her face, she's out cold.

"Ready, girls?" They all say "yes" in unison, except Yoko, who groans in response.

...

You drive slowly through the night, keeping your eyes fixated on the barren road. You press down on the gas pedal and the speed starts increasing. You ease off after hearing a quiet murmur in the back seat.

"Nina?" You ask, she sticks her head out from between you and Yoko, rubbing her eyes and yawning.

"Ya, boss, it's me." You smile, putting one hand on the wheel in order to rest your arm.

"Why aren't you asleep like the others?" Nina wiggles her nose, it looks like she's about to sneeze but she doesn't.

"Wanted to keep you company, boss."

"Well, Nina, you're company is much appreciated, but I'd rather you get some sleep. We got a big day tomorrow." Nina falls back, she leans in about a second later.

"Hey, boss..."

"Ya, Nina?"

"You think we're gonna make it home? Because I'm not sure we are."

"Why do you say that, sweetie?" The word comes out without you or Nina giving it a second thought. You've never said it to her before, to anyone before actually. For some reason, it just feels right.

"I don't know." Nina rubs her eye and yawns again. "Hey, boss, can I drive?" You chuckle and shake your head simultaneously.

"Sorry, Nina, you're too little." You pat her on the head a few times and she pouts.

"Come on, boss!" Nina crawls to the front seat, blinding your vision for a split second.

"NINA, WAIT!" Nina falls, you swerve, everyone wakes up with a sudden gasp. "NINA, I SWEAR TO GOD!"