you win some, you lose some | isaiah thomas

dedicated to: radriss
non-explicit

"I still can't believe I got suspended over something so damn stupid," Isaiah complained as he flopped on the couch with a frown plastered on his face. Isaiah's fiancé of a week, Larissa, giggled at his childish behavior, walking over to the couch and sitting down next to him.

"Well, baby, you did get into a fight that game and you didn't back away when the refs asked you too," Larissa informed, looking at Isaiah who was giving her an annoyed look. "Okay, but did they die?" Isaiah asked, Larissa pushing her fiancé softly as she smiled.

Larissa knew this would be a hard night for Isaiah, for he was suspended for a game and it just happened to be one of the biggest games of the season— the Celtics versus the Atlanta Hawks. Commentators had already predicted that it would be a close game, and not only did that make Isaiah nervous for his team, but it made him even more outraged that he couldn't help in anyway.

"Babe, you don't understand," Isaiah signed, shaking his head as he rubbed his temple, "This is a big game; our fans are counting on us, and I can't be there to do my end of the job."

Understanding his frustration, Larissa rubbed his back slowly, "I know, baby, but you have to remember that your actions have consequences. You know I'm one to agree with what's right, and, in this case, they were right to suspend you a game, just as they suspended Reggie."

If Isaiah wanted someone to be on his side regardless of the situation at hand, he knew he'd have to find someone that wasn't Larissa, and that wasn't a bad thing. He never thought negatively when she looked at both sides of the story— he actually admired that about her.

"I guess you're right, babe."

"You guess?"

"I know," Isaiah corrected as he grabbed the remote, turning up the volume of the television once he saw that the game was starting, "Now, no more talking. I need to concentrate on this game."

Nodding in understanding, Larissa let her fiancé watch the game in peace as she watched along with him.

*

It was now the end of the second quarter of the game, and the Celtics were down by six. Isaiah had been screaming at his television screen to the point where his voice had became hoarse, forcing Larissa to have to prepare him some tea while he watched the halftime report.

"That shouldn't been a fuckin' foul, and you know it," Larissa heard Isaiah shout to no avail, causing her to shake her head softly as she carefully poured the green tea in one of her teacups.

"What did I say about the swear words? I don't like hearing them, honey," Larissa scolded, causing Isaiah to quickly close his mouth, turning his attention to the beautiful young woman who was now making her way towards him. "I'm sorry, babe. It won't happen again," Isaiah apologized, taking the tea cup in his hand when Larissa handed it over to him, "Thank you again for the tea."

"You're welcome, love. No more shouting though; your voice is already raspy enough."

"Yes ma'am."

After ten more minutes of the halftime report, the game finally returned on the television. Isaiah spread his legs apart, leaning his elbows on his legs as he looked at the television screen intently, watching his team run up and down the court.

Larissa glanced over at Isaiah and smiled softly at him; when it came to the game, he was focused— completely focused. Nothing and nobody could throw him off, and she found that attractive in so many ways possible. Whether he won a game or lost a game, she was always proud of his efforts, as well as the team's efforts. She couldn't imagine herself cheering for anybody else except her man and his family, because that's what the Celtics team truly was to him— family.

*

"Final minutes of the game, guys, c'mon.. Lets pull out this W," Isaiah encouraged, clapping his hands together as he continued to watch the Celtics play against the Hawks. Celtics were down by five, and only fifty-seven seconds remained on the clock.

"I think they'll be able to do it, baby. You guys have the ball, so all we have to do is knock down a three and a two, and we'll be set," Larissa smiled, looking at the television set in front of her.

Isaiah watched as Avery Bradley went up for a three pointer, watching it sink in the basket. Isaiah jumped up out of his position on the couch, cheering and coughing afterwards because of his sore throat.

"Baby.."

"Sorry," Isaiah said, still standing up as he watched the game clock wind down to twenty four seconds. "C'mon y'all, two more points!"

With the ball in the Hawks' possession, a lay up was made, keeping the Hawks' lead up by four. "Five more seconds, cmon! Draw the foul at the three point line!" Isaiah exclaimed.

Unable to draw the foul and sink the shot, the Hawks rebounded the ball, letting the time run out. The final score of the game was 103-107; the Hawks had won the game.

Letting a frown fall upon his face once again, Isaiah sat back down on the couch. Larissa wrapped her arms around his body, giving him multiple kisses to the cheek as she tried to comfort her lover, "It's okay, baby; there's always next game, you know."

"But I wanted us to win this game."

"Hey; you win some, you lose some. You just gotta come back stronger, and since you're allowed to play again, you guys will have an even better chance of winning your next game," Larissa stated.

Smiling softly, Isaiah looked over at Larissa, pecking her lips softly and watching her bright smile become evident upon her face. "Thank you for always cheering me up; you always know what to say."

"That's what I'm here for, baby boy. I love you," Larissa gushed.

"And I love you too."

hope you enjoyed it, larissa!
vote and comment
next update: february 2, 2017

*

i decided that Brandon Ingram will star in my new nba novel that i'm publishing in the middle of february. i'm really excited, and i hope you are too!