Chapter 1 || noodles (revised)

" I can't believe they're even allowing a senior to roommate with a freshman. " Tsukishima mutters, the piece of paper in his hand crumbling beneath his fingers.

" I'm sure he's not as bad as you're making him to be. " Yamaguchi says. He finishes up his popsicle and tosses the empty stick to the side. He looks up at his friend, a small scowl clearly plastered on his face that makes him giggle. " You haven't even met the guy. "

" Whatever. " Tsukishima scoffs, crossing his arms against his chest. " My biggest concern is the fact he's recovering from alcohol addiction. I'm not really a big fan of the smell, you know. "

Yamaguchi perks up at that. " Isn't he only 20? And the captain of one the division teams there?"

Tsukishima shrugs. " Don't know, don't care. "

Yamaguchi sighs, looking down at his feet and then quietly snickering. Tsukishima looks down at his child-hood friend in concern, an eye-full of his long, green hair catching his view. Without even realizing it, he reaches out and carefully grabs a lock, fingers tracing the length of it.

" Why don't you get a haircut? " Tsukishima suddenly says.

" Hm, I probably will, whenever I have time. " Yamaguchi answers, petting down his own hair.       " You know, I never thought we'd come this far together, Tsuki. "

Tsukishima was taken back by that. He drops the lock of hair and looks away.

" W-what are you saying, weirdo? "

Yamaguchi laughs. " No need to be embarrassed. I just thought, " He pauses, then looks up at the orange clouds above them. " I just thought, back then, seeing how you stood up to those bullies and how cool you were, I'd never be able to reach the same level as you. " The shorter male chuckles shyly. " You were so close yet so far, but for whatever reason I kept on chasing you. "

" Yeah, you'd always tag along like some stray puppy. " Tsukishima snickers, to which Yamaguchi whines at.

" You're still so mean to me, y'know? " Yamaguchi huffs, before smiling slightly.

" It's nice to be able to say that , too. To me, you were always the cool Tsukishima, and I was just the weirdo. But we were able to help eachother out at the end. "

Tsukishima's mind flashes back to the memory of their first big argument. Right after a practice match, when Karasuno has just lot yet another round, and the captain of the opposing team has riled up the blonde a little too much. As much as he hates to admit it, Yamaguchi was really the only one who knew about his insecurities, the insecurities he tried so hard to conceal, yet Yamaguchi was the same one to exploit it too.

" WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED BESIDES PRIDE? "

The words ring in his head. Until this day, it still does.

" Sorry, am I being weird, Tsukki? " Yamaguchi asks, shyly rubbing the back of his head. Tsukishima huffs, but he has a small smile.

" You've been talking like a grandma lately, Yamaguchi. " Tsukishima teases. Yamaguchi retorts back with a slap to his arm, but Tsukishima only chuckles back. The two continue to walk in peace, lets nature be their company. They bask in the cool night air while they exchange thoughts down the street. They talk about memories of their high-school days, reminiscing the highs and lows, pain and joy.

Its not often that Tsukishima talks about these kinds of things, but for now, he thinks, it's okay. Its Yamaguchi anyways.

" Well, this is my stop. I'm not sure if I'll be able to send you off but, I'll try, okay?"