chapter 12

George stared down at the angel sleeping beside him. Smiled at the way his mouth was open slightly, a bit of drool at the corner of his mouth. He knew that often Alexander woke before him and pretended to be asleep so that George could ‘wake’ him. But there were some days that he woke before Alexander and stared until he felt the boy begin to stir and then pretended to sleep so that he could let Alexander continue to think he’s fooling him. Ran his fingers along the boy’s side. Watched as he snuggled his face into the pillow when George traced the rim of his ear.

He smiled at the way Alexander scooted closer, pressing his arse against George.

He’d worried last night when he’d come into the room and found the boy near tears. Could see he’d been crying even though Alexander didn’t want to tell him. Had thought surely that Alexander regretted what had developed between them. That the boy didn’t enjoy their relationship as much as George had thought he did. Then the boy had told him that he’d been nervous because George had left him alone and he was lonely?

He was infatuated with the boy but he wasn’t stupid. His Alexander was lovely and responsive and loving and George thought he was slowly coming to anticipate the pleasure that George would give him. But he knew that the boy was always waiting for the pain to start. The abuse. He expected to be hurt. To be forced.

It was why George had created their daily routine. A schedule of sorts so that Alexander would always know what to expect. Would relax and learn to trust George. Each morning he would let Alexander wake and settle himself while George pretended to sleep. Would lay still as the boy ran curious fingers down his chest and his sides. Would snuggle close and wrap his arms tentatively around George, as if he was trying out physical intimacy that wasn’t sexual, to see if it might fit. Then, George would ‘wake’ slowly and nuzzle the boy. The very first thing he did each morning was to show the boy casual affection. A nuzzle to his ear. A kiss. Sweet words so that Alexander would know that he was safe and that he was cared for. Then he’d pleasure the boy. Always making sure that Alexander found his release before he’d allow the boy to love him in return. Then breakfast. A bath. At each point George would make sure to shower him with casual affection. Warmth. Reminders that he was cared for. He would work in the office all morning and then before lunch he would pull Alexander to the settee and kiss him breathless. Tell him he was beautiful. Fed him. Then he’d give Alexander another kiss and go to the fields and allow the boy some time to himself to work quietly. Would meet him again for dinner and take him to the library to read.

He wanted Alexander to see that this was about more than what they did in their bed. That he was cared for and valued for who he was and not for the physical pleasure he gave George.

Last night, he’d seen the worry in Alexander’s eyes and he’d almost retreated. Almost gave the boy a kiss and curled into bed beside him, leaving him untouched. Had seriously considered it. Especially when he’d seen the fear in Alexander’s eyes. But he knew if he’d ever gain Alexander’s trust he would have to be firm. Would have to show Alexander that he was safe. That he would not be harmed. That all George wanted was to give him pleasure. Spoil him.

It was something he hadn’t done in years. Well before he met Martha. He hadn’t seduced a boy for over twenty years. Hadn’t used his tongue to convince a boy to open for him since he’d been Alexander’s age, sweet talking Sally Fairfax’s brother into laying with him in the barn. But it wasn’t as if it was different from what he’d done with Martha all those years they were married. His mistress Jane before her. He’d always relished watching as his lovers came apart on his mouth. The taste of them. The feel as they lost their reserve and writhed and bucked beneath him.

Martha used to joke that he spent more time with his face between her legs than he anywhere else. That he’d kissed between her legs more than he’d kissed her mouth.