chapter 30

"I know that John Adams is concerned that the French are going to force themselves as the new rulers over our colonies but I can assure you that's not the case," Thomas Jefferson said and George had to fight the urge to snap at the other man.

He didn't care. Didn't care about France. Or Spain. Or even the colony of Virginia. Right now all he cared about was that it was nearly dawn and Alexander still wasn't home yet. All he wanted was his boy home and then they could go back to Derniere and he could free him from whatever poison it was that the Marquis de Lafayette was pushing into his body. He could heal his Alexander and they could find a way to move forward.

"George."

He jerked and looked at the other man.

"You are distracted," Jefferson narrowed his eyes at him. "Why?"

"Alexander has not come home tonight."

"Is this a surprise?" Jefferson looked at him. "He is a young man of twenty and it is his birthday. Of course, he is most likely celebrating with a whore or three and drowning his responsibilities in cheap wine. Just as we both did at his age."

"He is with the Marquis de Lafayette and John Laurens."

"Then from what I understand it'll be better wine and he'll be able to save the coin he would have spent on the whores since young Laurens will be available. Or, perhaps, they will share Laurens and bring whores in as well. Either way, what does it matter? They are young men out celebrating."

"It—"

"George." Jefferson narrowed his eyes at him. "You cannot reject him and then complain when he seeks comfort elsewhere."

"And would you say the same thing if it were Sally?"

"Sally is at home with our newest son, Samuel, until I can arrange for a wet nurse to take him," Jefferson retorted. "And I doubt she'll have any desire to seek comfort from anyone for a few weeks. But when she does? I shall not be the fool who leaves her bed cold."

"There is a difference between us though. Your Sally is—"

"Has the same father as my Martha," Jefferson answered. "And I did not let such a trivial thing as family lines prevent me from taking what I wanted. And you should not have either. But you have and now you must accept the responsibility for it. You have set your boy free and you no longer have a right to choose where he seeks his pleasure."

"But—"

"Do you become upset when Ben Tallmadge takes a client to his rooms?"

"No, of course not. But Ben Tallmadge isn't mine."

"Alexander isn't either," Jefferson answered. "And pining over the arse of a boy you cast aside will not win our homes back George. Now, there is a French military fleet sailing for the harbor of Biloxi and they are expected to be here in a month. With the Spanish troops that will arrive shortly after we shall have a force of thirty thousand men to march into the colonies and take our homes back."

"And in return the Kings of France and Spain will ask for?"

"Favorable trade status. Our recognition of France's claims on Canada and a treaty of alliance with both nations."

"That is all?"

Jefferson cleared his throat.

"What else?"

"A guarantee that Catholics will not be persecuted in the colonies. That they'll hold full rights the same as other citizens."

"Adams will not like it."