Chapter Twelve

Ciel's POV

The carriage bumped up and down along the beaten path on the way to the Phantomhive Manor. Ciel held Bethany in his arms, lightly stroking her hair. She was fast asleep; peaceful, yet she wiggled around a lot. She might have kicked him or punched him if he wasn't holding her so tight to him. He would never let her go.

Elizabeth had been his fiancé and he never felt this protective over her. In fact, he could distance himself from her because she was independent from him. Yet, Bethany needed a close eye on her (in case her lung condition acted up) and a warm heart.

For once in his life, he was allowed to let himself feel the emotions he desperately tried to run away from. He didn't have to give the cold shoulder anymore. He could sink into the warm feeling he was recently rediscovering. That made all the difference to him.

Perhaps he wasn't born to feel happy himself, but to provide happiness to another; her, and in the process learn what it feels like himself. How long has he locked himself into the cold dark cage of indifference? So long that he had forgotten the feeling of mutual love? Why did he let it go?

As they approached the Manor, the carriage slowed to a halt and the boy picked up the girl and carried her himself into the mansion. He could get used to this.

He carried her into his own room, setting her on his bed. He stood there until Sebastian pulled up a chair to the bed so he could observe her.

The demon whispered to the boy. "My lord... Are you sure you want to sit in a chair all night? Where will you sleep?"

It was true that it was dark outside. The night had crept up in the midst of all the events of the day.

"... I wish to respect her space, yet I feel like I should stay by her side. What is this feeling?" Ciel's sensitive side showed through his soft words as he looked at the sleeping beauty.

"My lord... Perhaps this isn't the most desired solution, as you are a lord; however, I could make a comfortable bed on the floor. You can stay in the room with her and respect her space. It's no longer a choice between them."

Ciel gave Sebastian a grateful look, not a smile but he might as well have been. It showed in his eyes. "I would appreciate that."

Sebastian proceeded to the door before Ciel called to him once more. "Sebastian.... My lord status doesn't apply when speaking about Bethany. She is above my status."

"As you wish, my lord." The demon smirked as he headed out quietly.

The girl on the bed was still sleeping soundly. For that, Ciel was grateful. As he thought about the past events, he became sentimental and even more attached to the girl in front of him. She didn't even know how much he felt for her. His feelings grew the longer he spent with her.