Chapter Eighteen

Bethany's POV

Several weeks had passed since Ciel and I dined together. In that time, I took the liberty to explore rooms around the mansion and asked questions about them to Finny, Bardroy, or Meyrin, whoever was assigned to help keep me busy. Ciel had planned a few more late morning breakfasts with me, but his schedule was mostly busy, and the necklace he gave me was his only present. I kept the necklace watch close to me at all times. It felt dear to me and I cherished it because it reminded me that Ciel wanted to take care of me. I made sure to take just as much care of it as my engagement ring.

I drew out information about the mansion I live in and learned more about the fire that took Lord and Lady Phantomhive's lives. As I learned, Ciel had the mansion rebuilt to appear exactly as it had when they were alive, down to the most meticulous of details. Now that I thought more about it, the cobwebs on the mannequins in the ballroom could have been placed by the staff in this effort to make everything in the mansion appear older and as it was before the flames of death. If you thought about it, Lord and Lady Phantomhive never set a foot in this residence, as it is but a clone of the original.

Whenever I had time to myself in the middle of the night, I returned to the ballroom and freely flowed around the room. I had just as much trouble breathing as before, but the act of moving around in that way gave me a sense of strength. I felt more powerful, and that is why I kept it a secret. It was my small piece of paradise, and I wouldn't let anyone else know about it, should they try to take it away from me or inform me I am doing it the wrong way. All I want is to perform, regardless of my form, and that was my passion.

These long nights in the ballroom reminded me of my sister, Elizabeth. I hadn't heard a word from her since I relocated to the mansion with Ciel. There was a queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach I couldn't escape, and I wanted to hear from her to quench it.

As much as I didn't want to admit it, my abrupt ascension from housemaid to lady had taken quite a toll on me. I felt exhausted, and if Ciel ever let me return to my original position, I would be quite thankful, but that's not possible is it? After all, a lady must rely on staff to take care of her; to lift a finger for oneself is distasteful. I must adjust my lifestyle so suddenly. Why must Ciel be a Lord? Could we live far off on some estate where manners and maids are optional? I don't want this pressure.

I was interrupted from my thoughts when Sebastian knocked on my door to check on me. "Lady Bethany, you have a guest. Please head to the foyer when you are ready. They are important, so try not to keep them waiting too long."