Chapter Twenty-Two

Sebastian Pov

I noticed the Lady Midford's presence in her room shortly after the exchange with Oren Blakely. Her health seemed well, but she appeared to be shivering. I closed her window and retreated from the room to inform the master and the waitstaff that she had been found.

The young master was, of course, in his study, ticking his fingernails across the edge of one of the many books and documents spread out. There were even things laid out across the floor, a habit he had picked up only at his most perplexed moments.

I waited for him to acknowledge my presence and address me before speaking. The current situation was certainly nothing more than we had handled before, but now there were more pawns in play, pawns that could be queened given the right opportunity and wisdom.

"I would like you to gather more intelligence from the estate of said Duke. We must uncover the true identity of the man in power and what his connection to Preston Marsh is." Ciel sighs, as of this entire situation was bothersome to him.

We didn't know our opponent as well as we should, and this is what Master Ciel entrusted to me as my next task. He knew that only I was capable of such a plan.

"Before you go, Sebastian, I'd like to make it clear that if Blakely touches a single finger on my fiancé again that you are to kill him. That's an order... and spare the gruesome details she doesnt need to see." Ciel continues to study his notes diligently until he grows tired and calls on me again to get him ready for bed.