Chapter Twenty-One

Bethany POV

With each clock tick, it seemed that the mansion grew quieter, and I could feel a restless chirp underneath the floorboards. The mannequin I had been attached to was tossed away, and I looked at it with an uncontrollable anger. I had to blame something for the way I felt because there was no other way to express what I felt.

I had come to realize that even here, in my new home, that I was still on my own. I had to look out for myself. Ciel may want to be the solution to my problems, but he couldn't fix everything as I had hoped he would.

I had my doubts about everything. What did Ciel even want me here for? Why did I leave home? How are my parents, my brother and sister? Lizzy, I hope you are well.

I wondered if I should leave the ballroom before I would be declared missing and found here. The last thing I wanted was to reveal my secret safe place to anyone. I needed to find a way to brave the situation before it got any worse.

The truth was that I had left that man alone in my room. Who knows what my fiancé Ciel would say if he knew what had happened? It would seem as though that I had done something dishonorable that would bring great shame to his name, to the whole Phantomhive manor.

As I began to walk steady out of the room, I felt all these doubts creeping into my skin. I had been so caught up in this world that I didn't even consider if it was right for me. I don't know if I belong here.

When I returned to my room, it was empty and cold. The door was left open, as if the swaying wind coming in from outside would breathe life into the desolate room. I decided that I needed to decorate and add personality to my room as soon as I could so that I wouldn't return to this gloom again.

I had already felt so many emotions and drained the life out of myself. It was too much for me, especially in one day. I decided to lay down on my bed and sleep. Nothing would be as forgiving to me as passing out now.