Chapter Fifteen

Bethany's POV

Finny eventually had to return to his flowers to water them on schedule. He seemed a bit disheartened that he couldn't tell me more about them before returning to his work. It was plain to see that he was passionate about them. I could only hope he had someone in his life that loved him as much as he loves his garden. After he left, I was expected to take an afternoon nap, a message from Bardroy not too long after Finny left.

"An' while you're at it, Miss Beth'ny, there are vanilla cakes in the kitchen, so feel free to grab'n." With a big smile a salute he headed back to his cozy kitchen haven.

I traveled to Ciel's chambers before my scheduled nap, to be greeted by Sebastian sitting on his bed. "If you are looking for the young master, he is in town with Meyrin sending a letter to an esteemed duke. I would expect another hour before he returns. Would you like me to give him a message for you, young miss?"

I soon learned that my fiancé Ciel had hopes to hire a man from Switzerland to tutor me. It was hard to wrap my head around everything that had happened since I met Ciel and the influence he had. Just thinking about it, I began to feel a slight headache and returned to my room to rest. Perhaps everything would clear up with a fresh mind.

My slumber had lasted longer than I anticipated. By the time I arose, the entire mansion was dark and seemingly abandoned. I heard nothing, save for my own breathing and the gentle pitter patter of rain above me. It seemed as though someone had blown out every candle in the hall as a way of saying goodnight to the ancient wood structure we lived in. For all I knew, however, the lack of light could've been caused by the wind. I shivered as I realized how eerie that sounded, for the earth's breath to bid us goodnight.

With the lack of voices and presence in the area, I determined to investigate the mansion. It was far too late for anyone to be awake to tell me to return to my assigned room. Even if they did, I had gotten too much sleep beforehand and restless as I was, I needed to pace around. The floor creaked as I stepped on it, and I could feel how my weight pressed against mush in the boards causing them to sink. Trembling steps sauntered through the swelled walls searching for the secret destination.

There were many rooms filled with dust that hadn't been touched in ages. A dressing room for a lady whom I presume belonged to Ciel's mother, an armory with locked cabinets, a ballroom with an endless marble floor.

A cool blue glow cascaded through the windows, twirling around with the shadows it created. The curtains appeared mildly ripped, giving the air a vintage appeal. Along the sides of the room, behind elegant dividers, lay several mannequins used for teaching young adults how to dance. I had gazed upon my sister Lizzy as she used these to practice her graceful footsteps.

As no one was awake, I tiptoed my way over to take a peak. Cobwebs lined the space between the fabric and the wall, but anything living had left or perished by now. I took the slender, life-sized doll into my arms and carried it around the room humming the song that frequently played in the ballroom at home, attempting to mimic the steps I'd seen my sister do. The size of the bust was considerably large, but the weight seemed fairly light. Perhaps it is because you aren't supposed to carry a person across the floor when you dance.

Far into a trance, with the moonlight as my guide, I swished in all sorts of directions, letting my arms and legs be an extension of myself. In the physical rush, I had no ability to think anything but how my next breath would be taken. My legs burned, and all too late I came to the conclusion that I was not in enough shape to attempt this type of dance. With all this space, I could see myself becoming stronger and more agile. As the song came to a finale, I bowed and placed the body back where it belonged. It wouldn't be long now before sunrise, and I had questions for Ciel.

————

Meanwhile, as Bethany danced in the ballroom...

Ciel laid on Sebastian's back, content to be carried home after the night's events. He was sleepy after all the fighting, but some movement in the windows caught his eye. Was that Bethany? Or was he dreaming? He didn't know, nor was he conscious long enough to remember it.