Chapter 14: Alex

When we initially entered our room, Jasmine and I actually gasped. It was a modest size and had two double beds, which consisted of a navy quilt, patterned with a ring of six different coloured stars (I later found out that this was the academy's emblem). Over on the far, right-hand side, there were two medium sized cabinets and two huge wardrobes, which were filled with our clothes. Also, by the window, which was oval shaped and looked out onto the enormous lake, there was a small desktop onto which the early evening sunlight shone. Finally, we had an en-suite, as well as a small sofa in the middle of the room. All of a sudden, Jasmine flung herself onto the sofa, laughing in excitement and happiness, after the two of us had taken this in.

"Wow Alex," she said, grinning at me, her eyes shining. "This place is great."

I laughed and joined her on the sofa, lounging against the soft cushions.

"I know," I replied smiling back. "It has everything we could ever want."

Immediately afterwards, I noticed a small pile of papers sitting on the desktop, one pile with my name on it and one with Jasmine's. I went over and picked mine up, before handing Jasmine's to her. Before long, I had deduced that the pile of papers contained a welcome letter from Vladimir himself, a rule list, a map of the academy (I was thrilled to see that the academy had a library, an area that Mrs Sampson had unfortunately not taken us to on her tour) as well as our timetable. In terms of my timetable, it consisted of the same lesson each week, including subjects that were found in a "normal" academic school, such as English, Maths and Science. However, one class, which you would not find on an average timetable, but was emphasised on mine, as well as Jasmine's, was Power Control.

As soon as Jasmine registered this subject, her eyes lit up.

"Oh Alex. Power Control sounds amazing. I can't wait to have that lesson."

I nodded my head in agreement. I was also looking forward to Music, as this was one of my favourite subjects and I was ecstatic to see that Jasmine was in most of my classes. Soon, I was distracted from my excited thoughts when I read that I would have to undertake physical education (PE). To me, this subject sounded dreadful, although it really depended on what type of PE we would be doing. If it was swimming or netball then I was normally fine. However, if it was dance or gymnastics, then I would be as good as dead, for I had no sense of balance or coordination. There was no way that my body was built for gymnastics and I looked like a contorted scarecrow when I danced. David had even resulted to caution on the dance floor, after I had left him with a bruised cheek when I had attempted the 'Macarena' during our Year Nine disco. I was relieved that both subjects weren't terribly frequent.

After reading the rules, the pair of us then set about decorating our room and unpacking our cases, which seemed to go by relatively quickly. Soon, all that needed to be unpacked and put up were my posters. Benedict Cumberbatch, as 'Sherlock Holmes' and Ian Somerhalder, as 'Damon Salvatore', filled the walls of my side of the room, as well as a large 'Doctor Who' poster of David Tenant, much to Jasmine's amusement and approval. When I was finished, I turned to inspect her own posters.

Jasmine was more of an animal person. As a result of this fact, numerous smaller posters littered the cream walls of cute baby animals, especially dolphins. Even so, the main poster she had pinned to the wall, which was situated directly above her bed, was of a gigantic picture of Johnny Depp as 'Captain Jack Sparrow'. I hi-fived her, as he too was one of my favourite actors.

On account of this shared interest, Jasmine soon began telling me that she had bought the box set of 'Pirates of the Caribbean' with her, in case we had a television.

This news was met with my excited cry.

"Jazz...that's fantastic news," I beamed at her. "We have a TV in the living room and, providing we're not disturbing anyone, we could begin 'Curse of the Black Pearl' right now, before we head down for dinner."

I had barely finished speaking when Jasmine was up and raring to go, the DVD clutched tightly in her hand. We left our dorm room in a flurry of teenage excitement and laughter.

As soon as I entered the living room, my happiness immediately disappeared. 

***********
AN:

So I based a lot of Alex's and Jasmine's likes on my own. Damon Salvatore is my no.1 my book/TV series boyfriend (I'm sorry but I will fight to the death over him) and I love Doctor Who and Pirates of the Caribbean so I just had to make references to these.