Chapter 36: Alex

I'll emphasise once more how awesome Power Control was. This was for many reasons, although the main one can be left to your imagination. In today's lesson, since Mr Allen had now experienced a preview of our talents and control over them so far, he had set each of us individual tasks to carry out. He explained at the beginning of the lesson that we had two key focuses. The first focus included the fact that all of us didn't need to close our eyes to use our powers. Instead, we just needed to feel and learn to become one with them. Mr Allen told us that this was something which we could practise at any time, such as sitting down quietly in our dorm rooms and listening to the recognisable call of our powers, which varied from person to person.

The second focus was mostly aimed at Blaze and me. Unlike Gretel and Ivy, who were constantly surrounded by their elements, Blaze and I usually had to rely heavily on hoping that our element was nearby. Therefore, although there were water objects in the room, as well as a lake outside to practise on once I had fully mastered my powers, this fact made it difficult for us to channel and use our powers. Mr Allen had a way to help us with this situation. This way was harder than most people could imagine and, in his opinion, made our powers the most difficult to control and use. After all, to succeed, Mr Allen told us that we had to learn how to control and create our powers with thought alone. However, in his opinion, once mastered, this method would ensure ultimate success.

After seeing to Gretel, who had set to work practising her talent in a specially constructed side room and Ivy, who was now seated in a pretend garden area in the far side of the classroom, Mr Allen set to work training us.

"It took me many, many years of hard work, dedication and patience until I reached the level I'm now at," he explained, demonstrating this statement with effortless ease. His element swirled about the area we were working in, created with just his mind. "What's more," he continued, "after I had mastered controlling my power with thought alone, it took me even longer until I could control it well. Therefore, don't expect to be able to do this immediately." We both nodded, fully understanding what he had said, before he finalised his introductory speech."Both of you are extremely talented," he stated, smiling at us warmly. "However, like the others, you've a long way to go until you can leave this academy, free of the fears that you will harm others in any shape, way or form. That being said, let's begin."

Once Mr Allen had finished his introduction, he set to work positioning us so that we were sitting on the ground facing him.

Then, our training commenced.

"First things first," he began, "I want you to try and switch off all your senses apart from touch and sight, but don't close your eyes as you do this, even though that sounds impossible." I was surprised by this comment. It sounded like a strange and unmanageable thing to do. Mr Allen smiled at me reassuringly and my body automatically relaxed. Gosh, he had such a lovely smile. "That's right," he nodded at me. "Maximum relaxation is vital. Now, once you're completely at ease, gradually switch off your senses, until touch and sight are all that remain. Take it slowly," he instructed. "Imagine that you have all the time in the world."

Initially, I'm not going to lie, I struggled with this. It was hard to relax and concentrate, especially when Ivy and Gretel were grunting in frustration and I could smell the faint wafts of dinner floating under the classroom door. To make matters harder, Blaze seemed to be able to pick up this step quicker than I could, so much so that his beaming smile made me feel quite jealous.

Mr Allen's voice disrupted my envious thoughts.

"Relax," he said, smiling encouragingly and looking at me. "Just relax and allow yourself to feel and embrace your power."