Chapter 41: Alex

The morning of the Halloween Ball, I checked my e-mail, doing my best to try and forget my troubled thoughts. Jasmine and Raphael had been refusing to talk to each another since their argument and Raphael had even rebuffed my gaze, during the few times we had conversed, leading up to today.

As I opened my 'inbox', I forgot my troubles, as I excitedly realised that I had a reply from my parents. Opening the e-mail, I read the contents with mixed emotions.

Date: 29th October 2015

Time: 4:56pm

Subject: Hi Baby!

Hi baby,

Oh honey, it's so wonderful to hear from you and all about your time at the academy so far. Your father and I are so proud of you. The grounds you describe are very famous. I believe your ancestors talked about them numerous times when they were at the academy, especially your great grandfather - Alistair. I'm sure he loved the great lake most of all when he was studying there.

With regards to you being allowed to do some ancestry digging, it sounds so exciting and I suggest that you follow through with this offer. As your great grandfather was so very famous, much was written about his work and personal history. Unfortunately, we "normal" persons are not allowed to access those documents. Therefore, those sources are precious and invaluable, so make the most of it and do let us know what you find out in due course if you can.

What's more, your Music teacher sounds wonderful – just the kind of person I'd love to meet and so does this Mr Allen. He comes across as being extremely dreamy and that part of your letter made me laugh the most, although your father just rolled his eyes, as you can imagine. As for the other teachers you talked about, particularly the ones you don't like so much, just try to cope with them to the best of your ability. The teacher you named as Miss Beast clearly has her own style of teaching and personality, which works for her (but understandably not others) and I know that you'll keep calm as much as you can. Just please promise me that you won't do anything to annoy her (not that you would ever dream of doing this) because I really don't want to hear that you're lying in hospital, with a body full of broken bones.

In terms of Hecate, be on your guard. From what you say, she does sound rather peculiar. However, if she was a serious threat to any of the students at the academy, including you, then Vladimir Alcaeus would never have hired her. He's one of the most trustworthy and respectable men alive. For that reason, I've and so has your father got complete faith in his choice of staff at the academy.

The last three topics you discussed in your original e-mail included the girl Vanessa, your brother and David. In terms of Vanessa, there're always girls like her in every school. Consequently, the best advice I can give you is to just take no notice of her comments as much as possible. However, should she start to bully you, then please let a member of staff know. As for your brother and David, Matthew is fine. He's gradually coming to terms with what has happened to you, although it's a slow progress. Nevertheless, David's been acting quite distant. I happened to see him recently but, as soon as he saw me, he crossed the road as if I was some kind of leper. I don't know what happened between the two of you but, if you told him about your 'awakening', then David seems to have taken the news badly. All the same, I'll continue to keep an eye on him and make sure that he doesn't do anything rash.

Much love and hugs always,

Mum and Dad xxxxx

This last news about David sent my world rocketing. I had hoped and prayed that since telling him about my powers, he would soon come to terms with what had happened. I had always thought that our friendship had been strong enough to cope with my revelations. Clearly though, he was in a bad way and I prayed that my Mum was able to keep him safe and free from harm. As for my brother, I was pleased to hear that he was coming to terms with what had happened, despite his slow progress. After all, his reaction, I could see now, was understandable and I was thankful that hopefully, one day, when I would see him again, we could put this incident behind us and move on.

Suddenly, Jasmine came over to me, looking pale and told me that Raphael was asking to see me outside. Throwing her a supportive glance and logging out of my account, I swallowed as I opened the door.

Raphael stood there, twiddling his thumbs.

As soon as he saw me, after I had closed the door carefully behind me, he blushed.

"Hey," he said, his golden eyes filling with nerves. "How're you doing?"

I threw him an awkward glance, my heart hammering.

So...after basically ignoring me for a century, you've decided to talk to me now have you?

"I'm alright I guess," I replied, not really knowing what else to say.

Luckily, he seemed to take the bull by the horns.

"So..." he mumbled. "Lucifer told me this morning about his plans for the Halloween Ball. I had no idea that you'd decided to go with him as his date."

I nodded.

"Yes I did," I replied, leaning uncomfortably against the wall. "When you agreed to go to the Halloween Ball with Jasmine, Lucifer asked me to be his date not long afterwards and I accepted." Raphael's face darkened a little at my explanation. Nevertheless, I continued, wanting to update him about my plans for this evening. "However, with that being said, tonight Jasmine and I are both Lucifer's dates now. I planned the whole thing yesterday, when the two of you had an argument."

At this comment, he stiffened in cold remembrance. Then, rather abruptly, Raphael took my hand and closed the gap between us, so that his golden eyes burned fiercely into mine.

My heart beat wildly in my chest.

"I...I called the whole thing off," he replied, his voice husky and trembling slightly. "Because, when you told Jasmine yesterday about me asking you to be my date, I saw in your eyes just how much you like me." He closed the gap between our faces even more, so that our lips were almost touching. "I feel the same way," he cried, looking at me with a pleading expression. "Therefore, I came to ask you to be my date. We were meant to go together from the beginning and I'm begging you now, for the second time, to let fate take its course!"

My heart stopped beating.

It took me a while to make up my mind, as an internal battle raged within me. On the one hand, for so long, even after what had happened yesterday, I had wondered if it was still possible for this situation to occur.

Clearly, my wishes had been heard.

I knew that Raphael and I shared an instant attraction from the moment we had locked gazes, something that he had now admitted to me and to our own hearts. Also, throughout the time we had spent together, I had felt this attraction gradually strengthen in desire and ferocity. We were so like one another, both in a negative and positive sense.

On the other hand, I realised that if I said "yes", then this answer would be unfair on Lucifer and Jasmine. It could leave a massive dent in our friendship – a friendship that had already taken a serious beating. Subsequently, dreading what was to come, I met Raphael's intense gaze, shaking with numerous emotions.

"Oh Raphael," I whispered, feeling the electric charge that had formed between the two of us surge throughout my body at his touch. "I...I do l...like you. I...I like you...a lot." Every word was said with shaky breaths. They were like blows to my body. "But," I choked out. "I can't refuse to go with Lucifer and break up my arrangement with Jasmine. It would be unfair at such a late notice."

As I slowly revealed my final decision, Raphael's whole body tensed. I saw the hurt and anger build steadily in his beautiful, golden eyes like a gigantic storm swell. Neither of us spoke, as Raphael and I tried to come to terms with my rejection for the second time, although it was agonisingly painful. God, I felt so awful. Every molecule of my body screamed at me to take my words back.

In the end, Raphael nodded briskly.

"Fine," he muttered coldly under his breath, his face becoming scarily impassive after a show of turbulent emotions. "Fine." Then, heartbreakingly, without a single glance in my direction, he turned and walked dejectedly away...again. 

***********
AN:

So...again there is quite a lot happening in this chapter. From what Alex's Mum has said, David doesn't sound like he's in a good frame of mind and Raphael...well...what is there to say? The poor guy has been rejected...twice!
What will happen at the Halloween Ball?
Does this bode well for the future?
All will be answered very soon.