Chapter 34: Alex

Lunch was unbearably and unbelievably uncomfortable. I sat between Jasmine and Raphael and had to painfully endure listening to Jasmine's discussion of how she wanted to be met outside her room by Raphael and led down the grand staircase like a princess. Overall, I could tell that Raphael wasn't really enjoying the whole situation either. He clearly found the topic of conversation as awkward as I did, despite the fact that Jasmine was oblivious to the whole tense atmosphere.

After Jasmine declared that she wanted Raphael to put his arm around her waist, I couldn't take it anymore.

"I'm just going to get my music book before the lesson," I suddenly cried, jumping up unexpectedly and causing Jasmine to look shocked and a bit put out for interrupting her. "I left it in our bedroom."

Raphael went to say something with regards to my abrupt movements and declaration. I shot him a warning look. Now was not the time to start having second thoughts.

"I'll catch you in class," I called out to Jasmine, as I headed out of the dining hall. Then, I ran as far away from the two of them as I possibly could, tears streaming down my face.

Oh God. I realised. This whole Halloween Ball, as much as it sounded ridiculous, was beyond awful, even though I knew I couldn't blame Jasmine or Raphael for my hurtling emotions. After all, if I had only accepted Raphael's offer to take me to the Halloween Ball earlier, then my emotions would have been completely different. However, my friendship with Jasmine had ruled all other thoughts at that particular moment in time. What's more, I couldn't turn back time, even if the small, selfish part of me wanted too.

Oh the joys of being a teenager!

Suddenly, I rounded the corner of a seemingly, empty corridor and barged headfirst into Lucifer. I shouted in alarm as I ended up flying down the hallway, looking like 'Supergirl'. His strong clasp saved me at the last second.

"Hey Alex," Lucifer said, concerned. I frantically scrubbed away my tears. "Are you OK?"

I nodded my head.

"I'll be alright," I answered, trying to smile but it was painful. I had hit my cheek on his iron ribs. "I shouldn't have been charging down the corridor like a raging ball. I hope I haven't hurt you?"

Lucifer shook his head and patted his stomach, subconsciously flexing his muscles to show how strong they were. All I needed to do was paint him green.

"No worries," he replied, smiling. "I'm fine." Nevertheless, deep down, he knew that I was not crying because I was hurt. "Has someone upset you?" Lucifer asked me gently, his features echoing his worry. "Because the look on your face and the tears in your eyes tells me that they have."

It was my turn to shake my head.

"No one's upset me Lucifer," I replied, hastily rubbing away the last of my tears. "Honest. My neck and cheek just hurt from where I bumped into you."

As soon as I had answered him, Lucifer studied me for a minute. From the expression on his features, I could see that he knew I wasn't being truthful with my explanation. After a long drawn out sigh, he decided to change the conversation into something he hoped would brighten the mood. Gradually, his face turned a deep crimson the more he spoke. Little did he know it was on the same topic that had just been causing me grief.

"Hey...em...Alex...em...do you have a date for the Halloween Ball?" he abruptly asked me, blushing shyly whilst we headed off to Music. "Because if you don't, I...I was wondering if you would like to go with me?"

This comment took me by complete surprise.

My mind went into overdrive.

Oh Lucifer, I thought, my heart softening. You really don't live up to your name at all, but you have such...bad...timing!