Chapter 37: Hecate

Not a moment after Alexandra had gone, Hecate stepped out of her hiding place.

"Has the offer been made?" she abruptly asked Mr Allen, fixing his enchanted stare with a piercing gaze of her own.

Mr Allen nodded.

"Of course it has," he smiled, before he took her pale hand in his and lightly kissed it. "I'd never let you down."

Hecate blushed in his presence, which was one of the few times she had reddened in a long time. The colour in her cheeks went as quickly as it had come and she managed to master her icy composure once more, sort of.

"Good," she retorted, although her usual frostiness had somewhat melted in Mr Allen's presence. "I'll give Vladimir the excellent news."

Hecate then went to leave.

Mr Allen held her back.

"Are you going to the Halloween Ball?" he asked her, grinning. "If you are, then I'd love to take you." This news startled Hecate. It had been so unexpected that she gasped a little, her pale lips parting slightly.

At hearing Mr Allen's request, Hecate threw him a flirtatious glance, which he met with surprise. Instantly, Hecate felt delighted with the momentary freedom it gave her to be the person she secretly was deep down, despite the fact that she had suffered so much heartache over the years.

"I'd like that very much Ian," she answered him, using his first name, which caused him to shiver. "It's very kind of you to even ask me."

Despite his obvious delight at her acceptance and tone, Mr Allen wasn't done.

"What are you going as?" Mr Allen asked her eagerly, as soon as she had finished. "I was thinking of going as 'Dracula'."

Hecate laughed at this comment, once more warmth flooding through her, which only ever seemed to happen in Mr Allen's presence.

"I can definitely see that costume suiting you," she retorted, chuckling. "Although I do hope you won't be drinking anyone's blood that night. As for me," Hecate flashed him a beautiful smile. "I'll be going as myself of course. I'm surprised you even had to ask."

At hearing her answer, Mr Allen threw her the biggest beam in the world, before he lowered his voice. It was deep and passionate.

Hecate shivered in uncontrollable pleasure.

"Oh...there's only one person I've got in mind whom I wish to drink the blood of," he whispered seductively, winking. "And I'm sure they know who they are."

Once more, Hecate trembled in delight at his words. Oh, how this man could thaw even the iciest of hearts. Mr Allen was also the only other person, apart from Vladimir, who didn't seem to mind that her powers were to communicate with the dead or was frightened by the terrible stories that had always haunted her past.

They plagued her, like a bad omen.

As Hecate grinned back at him, deep down, she realised that she was the kind of woman who enjoyed leaving men wanting more. She liked teasing them and watching their reactions. Therefore, with a swish of her black, lace skirt, which caused her hand to suddenly drop from his, making Mr Allen gasp, she began walking away from him, her normal frosty composure once again appearing on her face. However, so that she could show him that she was still interested, Hecate turned and smiled flirtatiously. She swayed her hips, feeling a spark of happiness ignite within her, when she caught his thrilled and relieved expression. Then, with a twirl, she was swallowed up by the night.

***********
AN:

I have to say, this has to probably be my favourite chapter in the entire novel. I love Hecate's and Mr Allen's relationship (even if it does make me VERY jealous ;) ). What they have is so unique and he likes her for her so I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that!! P.s. Did I tell you know much I love that fact?