Chapter 17: Hecate

"Vladimir!" Hecate's sharp voice floated down the hallway.

At the sound of his name, Vladimir spun around abruptly, resulting in a flurry of sparks to be released from his fingertips. He paused to allow for his esteemed, young professor to catch up.

"Yes Hecate," he asked as soon she had approached, frowning in interest and confusion. Vladimir sensed something of importance was weighing heavily on her mind. "What's the matter?"

When Hecate was standing directly in front of him, her black, lace dress swishing about her feet, she began to speak.

"I know you're very busy and you've got plans for this evening, but can I talk to you for a moment please?" Hecate asked him, her voice betraying a sense of excitement, which was a rarity in her book, for she was usually calm and distant. "I've something very important to say."

At hearing her intriguing comment, Vladimir straightened, making himself taller.

He cleared his throat before speaking.

"Certainly," he replied. "You know that I'd always listen to anything you wish to say. After all, you'll forever have my upmost respect. Therefore, without further ado, I'm all ears."

Slowly, smiling softly, Hecate revealed her exciting news, although she still had that ever lingering bite to her words.

"Well," she began, swallowing to calm her breathing. "I strongly believe that one of the new students, who arrived today, has the potential to possess outstanding talents."

At hearing this information, Vladimir's heart began to pound and the silence lengthened considerably, before he eventually found his voice.

He could barely get the words out.

"W...when you say that this student: 'has the potential to possess outstanding talents'," Vladimir echoed slowly, shaking with anticipation at the wonderful thoughts that were racing around his mind. "Do you mean to say that these talents are beyond average?"

Slowly, Hecate nodded.

"Yes," she replied. "When we were sitting at the high table during dinner, I started to undertake my regular scanning of the room, just like you requested me to do and, whilst I was doing this, one of the new students, a girl, met my gaze."

Hecate paused to collect her swirling thoughts.

Eventually, she continued.

"When she did," she gradually answered, her eyes wide. "I experienced a sensation like I've never felt before."

Hecate paused briefly, shivering as she recalled the sheer power she had felt lurking within that one frame. It had made her, Hecate, with her own incredible powers, feel insignificant in comparison. She could not shake that unbelievable sensation, when the two of them had been connected.

At seeing Hecate's clear emotional state, Vladimir shivered, stunned that someone had the ability to affect Hecate so much, when so many others had failed. A small bright light of hope sparked within him.

"H...Hecate..." Vladimir began cautiously, but he had to stop for a moment in fear of collapsing under the monumental feeling of hope. Sooner or later, he found the ability to speak. He had wanted to say these words for so long. "D...do you think that you've possibly found someone who may provide a solution to our problems?"

Hecate thought for a moment before speaking.

"Maybe," Hecate replied, a small smile playing about her lips. "But we should wait a while in order to clarify that my suspicions are correct. I'm still debating whether this task should be undertaken by a soul individual. After all, one person on their own may be able to save the world. However, a team of friends, all working together, have a much greater chance of succeeding...providing that no one succumbs to evil."

Vladimir felt as if he could burst. Nonetheless, as he hastily looked about him, hoping that no one had overheard their private conversation, he realised that he must keep his excitement to a minimum. After all, Hecate was right. They had to wait and see if her suspicions were correct. Then, if they were, he could take matters from there.

"Well done Hecate," Vladimir finally said. "All that planning has hopefully paid off. Originally, I thought our odds at defeating Mortimer were bordering on zero. Now though," he continued, "it looks like we might have a chance. Still," he concluded, calming himself to some degree. "I'd like to put you in charge of tracking this student and confirming your thoughts. Only then, when this has been established, can we take the whole business one step further."

With a curt nod, Hecate accepted her assignment, before she gradually began to part ways with the headmaster. She hadn't gone far when Vladimir called her back.

"Oh and Hecate?" he cried, halting her for a moment. "I'd like to keep this news to ourselves."

Once more, Hecate nodded. Then, the two of them parted in the surrounding darkness. 

***********
AN:

Oh how I love writing from Hecate's perspective. She is one of my favourite characters and I would argue that she is extremely misunderstood. Hecate certainly has taken an interest in Alex though. I wonder if this is a good thing. What do you think?