Chapter 16: Alex

Jasmine and I were still chuckling about Vanessa's reaction when we went down to dinner. Truthfully, I was both proud and shocked by my ability to stand up to her, considering my past experiences. Perhaps my newly 'awoken' powers had also blessed me with a newly found confidence?

That was a possibility.

As soon as we entered the dining hall, we stopped talking, gazing around us in wonder. The walls were made of stone and fixed to them were old-fashioned lights, which gleamed in the semi-darkness. Furthermore, the same lights, but in bigger form, hung from the ceiling in groups of eight and then, dangling from these lights, was the most fantastic feature of the whole hall. Countless flags, all different colours and bearing different power marks, like the one on my hand, shimmered in an unseen breeze. These power marks looked almost alive, as the light from the ancient candles fell onto the soft silk. In the distance, I saw my mark, so life-like I thought that I made out the wave gently tumbling on an ocean current.

As I walked through the hall, either side of me were long tables where many students had already gathered and were waiting for dinner to be announced. They were also talking in hushed friendship groups about events that had passed or gossiping. It was Raphael who broke my trance, as he called the two of us over to where he was sitting.

Soon, we sat down either side of his frame.

"So...how's your roommate?" I asked him, grinning, occasionally glancing around the room to take in the unbelievable presence of such an enormous space.

Raphael laughed.

"You know what," he said, smiling. "For someone named Lucifer, I think that he's an alright guy."

"What makes you think that?" Jasmine asked him.

Again, Raphael chuckled, before he delivered his verdict.

"Well...you know the teenager who was part of our group when we first met - the one who was seriously ripped?"

Both Jasmine and I nodded.

"Yeah," I replied, "I remember him. He was the boy who constantly looked as if he was going to snap you in half any second. Is he Lucifer?"

Raphael nodded.

"Yeah, that's him," he answered. "Well, obviously strength's his power. He almost crushed my hand when we greeted each other. However, deep down, I think he's pretty decent."

I frowned.

"Why's that?" I asked. "He sure as hell gives off the opposite impression."

Raphael laughed once more, before speaking.

"Well...let's just say that I did a little snooping when he was in the shower earlier and I came across a very interesting leaflet amongst his stuff."

As soon as he had finished, my heart fluttered. The feelings of excitement and anticipation flooded through my veins, before another weird emotion encompassed me. It was the kind of sensation you get just before secrets are laid bare – secrets that are supposed to be kept hidden. Raphael lowered his voice, grinning like a naughty child, before he looked around to see that no one was listening in. Seeing that the coast was clear, he revealed all.

"I believe that secretly, Lucifer's a right softy at heart, for the leaflet was all about the RSPCA."

At hearing this news, Jasmine and I exchanged amazed glances. From Lucifer's bulky physique and powerful presence, I couldn't get my head around what Raphael was saying.

"No way," I replied, "there must be a mistake. No way does he look like the kind of person who enjoys cuddling and helping cute cats and dogs. He's more likely to crush them instead with his huge hands."