Prologue

Twelve year old Fauna Everglen lay on a hospital bed, unconscious, with her black ringlets fanned out across the pillow. Her usual tanned skin was considerably paler as her forest green eyes remained shut.

She looked delicate, as if she would shatter if you were to simply touch her. She could've passed for sleeping if it weren't for the IV's that had violated her body.

She stayed like that for 5 days - 5 very long days - before finally, she stirred.

Fauna whimpered as she tried to move her arm but it only twitched. She tried to move her fingers and managed to clench them into a fist.

She could here someone -talking.

"Fauna," a female voice cracked and they sobbed her name. "Fauna, darling, please."

Fauna.
Fauna.
Fauna.

It sounded familiar but she couldn't remember why.

Fauna.

That's when she realised, she couldn't remember anything. Panic flooded through her veins and her chest tightened as her brain remained foggy - covering any memories she could've had.

She tried, tried to force herself to, but she couldn't remember anything: not her full name, her age or anything else.

"Fauna," a male voice this time, deep and baritone, obviously a grown man. "You- you need to come back to us, please."

She panicked at the unfamiliar voice and tried to open her eyes but they remained stubbornly shut. Her blood ran cold. Who was that? Why were they here? What had they done to her?

Knowing she wouldn't be able to get up and judo flip anyone she, instead, tried a smaller movement, she moved her arm again and it shifted slightly but it was only slight. However, it didn't go unnoticed.

A female gasp was heard and a little girls voice spoke this time. 

"Mummy," a girl spoke. "Why is Fauna sleeping for so long?"

Fauna.

That name again. Her head was hurting now - a sharp pain stabbing at her temple.

Fauna.

That name, it was so familiar. It felt so right to her. They were calling her Fauna, was Fauna her own name?

Yes.

A very simple answer that came from within her, she knew it was her name.

She felt a sudden burst of energy at being able to remember something - no matter how small - and she managed to peel her eyes open.

It was too bright and she wanted to close her eyes but was afraid she wouldn't be able to open them again. She settled for squinting instead.

Her throat felt impossibly dry and she tried to lick her lips but her tongue felt heavy, stiff. Her body ached as she tried to move, it was slightly easier now but her movements were far from fluid.

"Fauna!" A little boy's voice called as two people jumped right onto the hospital bed.

She moved her head to the side and saw a little girl and boy sitting on the bed.

The girl's short blonde hair bounced up and down as the girl did, while her doe brown eyes bore into Fauna as she clung to her - making Fauna wince.