VII

Fauna laughed as Nico pouted. They had raced back up to her room and, much to Nico's disdain, Fauna and Orion had won yet again.

"It's not fair, you cheated," Nico whined like a little kid and Fauna laughed, flopping onto the bed.

"Sure, believe what you want to believe," she said, dismissing the accusation.

Nico sat down on the bed at her feet. Fauna rolled over onto her side and glanced up at him before poking his side when she saw his frown.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"Nothing," he said but it sounded more like a growl.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"What's wrong!"

"Nothing!" He snapped and Fauna flinched before looking away from him.

"Sorry," she mumbled but he didn't hear her as he walked over to the couch and sat next to Sage.

She sighed, her eyes darted to the clock before she helped and jumped up.

"I've got to go!" She yelled as she ran to the door.

Nico's eyes widened and he ran to the door, cutting Fauna off.

"You can't leave!" He shouted as he blocked the door.

"Nico, I have to go, schools almost over. It's bad enough I bunked off to come here but my parents are expecting me home at 4:00."

Nico shook his head. "I finally found you again, you can't walk away."

"Nico, my parents -"

"They're not your parents!" He shouted and she recoiled.

"Yeah, my dad isn't my dad, I know, but my mum-"

"Isn't related to you either."

She froze from shock before her mouth became a tight line. She took a step forward and Nico tensed. "What did you just say?" Fauna asked tightly.

He sucked in deep breath. "I'm going to have to explain."

"Explain what?" She asked.

"How we met, your past, everything," Nico sighed.

Fauna stared at him, shocked, for a moment before blinking and nodding. Nico stuffed his hands in his pockets and nonchalantly walked back over to the couch where Fauna followed him.

She sat down and waited patiently as he ran a hand through his hair as he thought about how he could tell her.

"You were 5 years old," he started as he looked wistfully at the cracking fire. "Your mother neglected you, she hated you to the core you never told me why though because I don't even think you knew why she hated you."

"What did she look like?" She asked and Nico's eyes snapped to her.

He smiled slightly. "You drew her once."

She perked up. "Really?"

"Yeah, its behind the empty canvas," he answered.

Fauna sprang up and scrambled over to the canvas and easel before slipping her hand behind the blank canvas. She grappled around before her fingers brushed against a piece of paper.

She grabbed it and pulled it out. The paper was lined, as if from a notebook, and crinkled but the folds were sharp.

She carefully unfolded the paper before she laughed.