IV

Everyone's attention was brought to the boy standing on the path that connected the clearing to the dining area.

Brody had chestnut brown hair that fell over his eyes, hazel eyes and dark skin. He smiled all the time, joked to lighten the mood and made sure that nobody was left alone.

Brody walked towards them. "Hey Mat. Nico, good to see you again," Nico scowled at Brody as he walked past. "Hey Fauna," he did a double take. "Fauna!"

He patted Fauna on the back as she stared at him, perplexed. Everyone she'd seen today was so over the top friendly but at least Brody hadn't choked her in a hug.

"Good to see you Fauna. Hey last time I heard weren't you missing or something. Yeah, that was what? Three years ago? Anyway, good to have you back. Hmm, you've changed too - I mean you used to be cute, pretty, in the way a little girl is but now you are smoking," he whistled.

Sage growled and everyone's attention snapped to her as she stood, tense, by a tense Nico.

Fauna looked at Nico and Mat with a questioning look. Who? She mouthed and Mat cleared his throat.

"Brody, why don't you go show Fauna up to her house and when you're finished give her a tour," Mat said and Brody nodded with a smile too big for his face.

"Nice! Bonding time!" Brody looped his arm through Fauna's. "Lets go! We're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz!" He sang as he marched off, dragging a confused Fauna with him.

Fauna stumbled after him and grabbed onto him as she finally righted herself, unfortunately, her lungs were burning up. Orion looked fine as he panted and prodded along beside the two.

"Man, I am so unfit," Fauna thought as Brody stopped abruptly making her stumble as she stared at the stairs that coiled around the tallest tree in Velarium.

"Holding up okay?" Brody asked as he took in Fauna's flushed face and heavy breathing.

She laughed breathlessly. "Are you kidding me? Of course I am - not!"

Brody laughed and wrapped his arm around Fauna, pulling her into his side, before rubbing her head with his knuckle. "Love you already squirt."

She pulled away and pouted while Orion growling in annoyance. "Squirt? I'm only just shorter then you!"

He gave her a lopsided smile. "And that makes me taller then you, thus I decree that your new nickname shall be Squirt."

Fauna rolled her eyes. "How wonderful."

"I could always carry you if you want," Brody teased and Fauna smiled.

"That would be perfect," she heaved.

Brody's smile dimmed slightly. "What-?"

Fauna jumped onto Brody's back and wrapped her legs around his torso. Brody stumbled as grabbed onto the tree trunk for support.

Fauna rested her head on top of Brody's. "Onwards Brody my fine steed!"

Brody laughed before holding onto Fauna's legs to make sure she didn't slip. "Hold on tight and Orion," he looked at Fauna's wolf as Orion bent low on his legs, preparing to start running. "You better run real fast."

With that Brody took off in a sprint with Orion sticking to his side easily. Fauna laughed as she rested her cheek against Brody's back.

When they reached the top Brody stoped and stooped low, letting Fauna climb off.

"You're really light you know," Brody said as he pushed open the door of a small house that was built on the tree.

Orion rushed in the door while Fauna analysed her surroundings. She was just bellow the canopy of the tree, the roof of the house sweeping against the swaying leaves. She was standing on the wooden patio that had a telescope and a wooden rocking chair.