XIV

Fauna turned around to see a group of people standing behind her - at least ten people - both girls and boys.

They all had pale skin as if they'd never seen sunlight before and that was enough to tell her who - or rather what - they were.

"Fauna," Nico whispered. "Run."

Her answer was a small shake of the head as she stared at the person in front. He was grinning wolfishly at her before he turned his head back towards the group.

"Well, looks like we've got a runner. And look! She left her little friends... wait," he laughed. "We've got two Beast Tamers here with their little Companions."

Fauna looked at Nico before looking back at the man in front. She barely even registered what had happened as he ran forward and grabbed her by the neck, lifting her off the floor.

Her mind clouded over as her vision narrowed so she could only see the man in front of her. She clawed at his hands but the barely even noticed as he smirked at her. She could vaguely hear Nico calling out.

She reached behind her and grappled around for the vine bars.

"I haven't had the blood of a Beast Tamer in so long. Human blood just isn't the same."

Her fist tightened around something and a fist tightened over hers.

She focused on the plant, on how it lived, on what went on inside of it and how she could kill it.

"Maybe I'll keep you for myself and let everyone else have your friends. There's something different about you."

Her heart lurked in her chest and she clenched her hands around the vine. She felt it weaken in her hand as she felt energy flow from the vine into her.

A surge of strength ran through her body as she lifted her right hand - her generally weaker hand - before punching the vampire in the face.

He let go and staggered back, clutching his jaw as everyone gasped.

Fauna looked at her hand as the strength faded and she swayed slightly at the loss of the tingly feeling inside her chest. She clenched and unclenched her hand.

The vampire turned looked up and glared at her and snarled. "You'll pay for that!"

He lunged at her and she quickly skidded to the side before grabbing the vines. More power flooded through her as the vines began to quiver and soften under her hands.

"Fauna watch out!" Nico shouted but she didn't turn around on time.

Hands grabbed her arms and lifted her up. She looked down and saw the group of people holding her up.

"Fauna!"

She struggled and clenched her jaw as she she was thrown to the floor. She hissed quietly as her knees whacked the stone floor. The leader grabbed her chin and yanked her head up to look at him, they were almost nose to nose.

"What did you think would happen?" He purred as his canines extended.

She gritted her teeth. She would not be beaten so easily. She leaned her head back as if in fear before whipping it forward and head butting him. He dodged and lunged threw himself at her but his group seemed to be more scared of him then she was because the all took a step back.

Fauna rolled sideways and could feel her heart racing in her chest as she felt him just brush past her. He stood up just as she started to slowly back out the of the cave.