VI

Fauna started shifting the belt that hung on her waist, the sheath heavy with the sword within it - you would've thought a glass sword was light but you would be wrong.

Fauna sighed and pulled the sword out deciding to hold it instead but even that was probably more annoying than being lopsided due to the uneven weight.

"Do I really have to carry this around with me?" She asked and Nico nodded as he readjusted the sheath and belt.

"Try that," he ordered and she sighed before putting the sword back in. "You shouldn't even be carrying it," he muttered before grabbing his pocket knife out again. "We'll renew the Rune and it should transform into something more manageable."

Fauna eyed the knife. "By renew do you mean-"

"Blood? Yep." He held the knife and beckoned for her hand.

She held out her hand and placed it in his, he held the knife to her finger and created a small cut but it bled all the same. She flinched as the knife cut her skin but the pain quickly dissolved.

Fauna watched Nico, enraptured, as a look of concentration crossed his features. He took her sword and gently squeezed her finger, the blood dripping onto the ruby that decorated the hilt.

She jumped as a fire burst to life within the ruby. "What the-?"

Nico handed back the sword to Fauna and she took it - however reluctantly - before she stared, wide eyed, as the flame burnt more fiercely. There was a fierce glow before the sword morphed into a necklace.

Nico carefully took the necklace out of Fauna's hands before placing the golden chain around her neck. He fastened it at the back quickly as if he'd done so many times before.

Fauna held the necklace in her hand as she stared at it in shock. She held the pendant in her hand that hung off the end of the necklace.

It was the same ruby as the one that decorated the handle of her sword - the same shade and with the same burning fire - but it was smaller and lighter.

"How do I use it now?" Fauna asked.

"Grab the ruby and snap it off and it'll transform back into your sword," he answered, looking at her intently, and Fauna did just that.

She pulled the ruby and it easily fell away from the golden chain. It suddenly morphed back into the sword and Fauna yelped before dropping it.

The sword didn't even hit the floor but instead shifted back to a ruby before flying back up to the necklace.

"Problem solved," Nico said and Fauna immediately sighed in relief before taking off the belt and sheath, throwing it onto her bed.

"Can you answer my questions now?" She asked and Nico nodded.

"We usually show the new people some paintings that explain the question everyone asks but I'll answer the rest of yours."

"What question?" Fauna asked as Nico whistled, catching Sage and Orion's attention.

"How we're here," he answered as he opened the door, gesturing for Fauna to leave.

She walked forward and Orion walked next to her. Orion stepped in front of her as she was about to start walking down the stairs.

"Yes Orion?" She asked as she scratched his ear.

"Are you tired? I can carry you!" A voice echoed in her head and she staggered back with a shocked expression.