VIII

"What now?" Fauna asked as she fiddled with her pendant.

Nico leaned back on the bed next to Fauna and placed his hands behind his head. "Well, it depends you can take your chances out in the real world or you stay here."

She stared at him for a moment. "What about my parents? What happens to my family if I stay here?"

"We'll probably have to tell them you died somehow, they'll mourn you but move on," he said nonchalantly.

"What? No!" Fauna shouted and he jumped in shock from my outburst.

"Fauna, they aren't really your parents. When you went missing and had your memories stolen they relocated you into a new family."

"Woah, what do you mean by stolen?" Fauna asked.

"Uhhh...we'll get back to that later but right now we need to know if you're staying here or not."

Fauna sighed. "So if I stay here then you tell my parents I'm dead even though I'm not?"

Nico nodded. "That's pretty much exactly what we will be doing."

She couldn't do this to her parents, she couldn't put them through that kind of pain.

"Isn't there another way?" She asked.

Nico grimaced. "Well, there technically is but it's not usually-"

"Let's do it," she interrupted.

"You haven't even heard what the alternative is yet," he said but she shrugged.

"Fine then, what is it?"

He took in a deep breath. "We wipe their memories and relocate them."

"So I'll never be able to go back then," she said and he nodded.

"If you don't go home now there is no turning back."

She couldn't put her family through the pain of losing her but she finally found out why she always felt different, there was no way she could go back now that she knew the truth.

She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. "Wipe their memories."

He nodded. "I'll arrange it with Mat."

She chewed on her lip. "Will I get to say goodbye?"

He sighed and stroked Sage's fur. "I'll try to get Mat to let you go especially since you probably still want to take some stuff from the house."

She nodded and got up. "Great, lets go ask Mat."

"What? Now?" Nico asked as he stood up and followed Fauna as she walked towards the door.

"Of course because right now all I can think of is my parents face when they realise I haven't come home from school so we go now."

She would much rather that her parents not file a missing persons report, after all, that would make it difficult to go anywhere.

Nico let out a sharp whistle causing Sage and Orion to perk up and follow. Fauna smiled and petted Orion.

"Do you want me to carry you down?" Orion asked and Fauna nodded.