XXIV

Fauna stared out the window and tugged at the clothes she wore. They weren't her own and were slightly baggy.

She looked at her finger with was stuck 8/12 of the way through the book. She flipped it open and curled up against the window.

They would need to get moving soon before an emissary of her mother came and endangered the Jones family.

There was a knock at the door and Fauna peered at Nico's sleeping figure on the bed before getting up and opening the door.

Maria was standing there its two backpacks in her hands. They looked way too heavy for her to carry. "Stella gave you these, she's packed a bit but she says to let you do the rest, you can help yourself to whatever you need."

Fauna nodded as she took the backpacks. "Thank you, Maria."

"No problem," she smiled and walked down the hall. She paused for a second before turning back around to face Fauna. "Oh, and Ben is cooking lunch."

Fauna thanked Maria before she closed the door and sighed when Nico was still asleep, she took her book and opened it again. She would be finished in an hour.

Fauna's eyes scanned the page, absorbing every word and, finally, closed the book. Finished!

She felt arms wrap around her and almost grabbed her sword before she realised it was just Nico. "Did you enjoy you're 'nap'?" She asked and laughed.

"How long was I asleep?" He asked, yawning, not quite awake yet. His voice was slightly raspy and was slightly throaty while his hair was severely messed up.

Fauna checked the clock on the wall. "3 hours."

Nico shrugged and walked into the bathroom, running his hand down his face.

Fauna pressed her lips together tightly, which meant you couldn't actually see her lips because they were tucked into her mouth, and burst into tears.

She placed the book back on the shelf as she tried to wipe away the tears but they kept coming.

She tried to cry as silently as possible and curled up on the bed.

"Umm..."

Fauna looked up to see Maya standing up the door. Maya half smiled as she admired the bookshelf.

"We had to move it out of Chase's room," Maya laughed. "she wouldn't stop reading and my dad would come to check out this strange noise and find Chase crying in her bed with a book in her hands."

Fauna nodded awkwardly, unsure of what to do other than wipe away the tears.

Maya sighed and murmured something incoherent before speaking up. "Dad's making lunch, get your boyfriend out of the shower."

Fauna rolled her eyes. "What gave you the impression that he's my boyfriend?"

She shrugged, "Oh, nothing..." she winked before walking off.

Fauna sat on the bed like an idiot. "What?"

She could hear Maya laughing down the hall. She was about to call after her when the bathroom door opened and Nico stepped out.

"What did I miss while I- whoa, Fauna, were you crying?"

"No," Fauna pouted.

She was though, it was so sad; how could she be so selfless? And then she had to go with that evil little brat while the her friend stood there watching because she gave her friend the stupid stones.

Nico chuckled and wiped the remnants of her tears away. "What are you reading?"

She showed him the cover and he laughed. "What?" She barked but her voice ended up quivering, she tried not to burst into tears again.