XXIX

Fauna's body felt so heavy as she blinked, her eyes blearily. She tasted blood on her tongue and her body didn't want to get up off the ground.

She felt like she couldn't breath as her restraints dig into her wrist.

"Get up, Fauna." It wasn't Orion's voice she was hearing, it sounded almost like her own. "Get up, Little One."

It was bright out and she could feel the heat breathing against her face, but the entire world seemed to be silent around her.

That was how she knew someone was walking right up to her, she could hear their footsteps as they squelched in the wet grass.

A warm hand held Fauna's chin, the nails digging into her. "Fauna, sweetie, how are you?"

Stunning blue eyes that made a quake of fear shoot through the girl, flaming red hair that made an image of blood shoot through Fauna's mind.

"Daila." Fauna manages to say, but her sedative was still active enough to slur her words.

"Please, call me mother." Fauna muttered something under her breath and Daila leaned in closer. "Sorry, what was that I couldn't-"

Fauna slammed her head forwards and her world spun for a second as Daila stumbled back in pain.

"Sorry, mother." Fauna apologises, loud enough for her Daila to hear.

Everything was becoming clearer now, she almost wished it wasn't.

There were markings along the floor that formed a circle, she could see Rachel's mum and dad sitting in separate circles along the edge.

Two strangers that looked similar to Fauna herself sat in two other circles of their own.

Fauna quickly realised she was sitting in the fifth and that Nico was sitting in the middle, chained to her glass sword.

"Nico!"

His eyes opened slowly, but he looked so dazed and confused as his eyes slowly widened. "Fauna!"

He struggled against the chains binding him and Fauna could feel the anger boiling inside her.

"What the hell are you doing?" Fauna shouted at Daila. "What the hell do you want?"

Daila tutted. "I never raised you to be this impatient."

"You didn't raise me! You straight up abused me, you snivelling sycophant!"

Daila grabbed Fauna by the hair and she just had enough time to brace herself before Daila slammed Fauna's face right into her knee.

Fauna heard a sickening crack and something warm drip down her face.

"You don't understand what I've seen: what I've been through! Your nothing but an ungrateful brat!"

Fauna struggled against the oncoming urge to sink back into unconsciousness but managed to pull herself afloat. "Then tell me, you psycho."

Daila clenched her fists and Fauna continued to struggle against her bonds as moments of silence dragged by.

"Do you know?" Daila asked. "Do you know what it feels like to fall in love, real genuine love? I bet you don't. After all, you're nothing but a mere child."

Fauna laughed. "I think that even if I 'real genuine love' I still wouldn't become a psychopath."

Daila looked like she wanted to hit her 'insolent' daughter again but sucked in a deep breath and realised it calmly.