Chapter 17

Grandpa, grandma and I stand a top the stairs in front of the grand church's entrance, waiting for daddy to arrive with Mal. Their carriage finally arrives and daddy is the first out, he then helps Mal out and they slowly make their ascent up the stairs. Mal curtsies nice she reaches us.

"About the other day, I just--" Mal starts. "I told Ben this wasn't going to be easy." Grandpa interjects, not quite the apology I was wanted but a start. "You also taught me that a king has to believe in himself. Even when it isn't easy." Daddy reminds, when did Grandpa teach him that? It must have been before I was adopted. "I did?" Grandpa asks, grandma lightly hits his arm. "I...how very wise of me," Grandpa says.

"Ben, we are very proud of you." Grandma praises taking daddy's hands in her own. Now that is how you apologize! "You keep listening to your heart," Grandma finishes. "Thanks, mom," Daddy smiles. "You're gonna make a fine King," Grandpa adds. He takes grandma's hand and they exit right.

"Wish me luck." Daddy says smiling at Mal. "Good duck daddy," I grin. A man clears his throat from behind Mal holding out one hand for me and the other for Mal. "Bye daddy," I wave before taking one of the man's hands. "Bye princess see you in there," he winks.

The man takes us to the left leading us to our seats. "Sowry bout yesterday day Mal," I apologize using my free hand to play with my hair. "It wasn' or fault," I whisper. "Hey it wasn't your either," Mal reminds kindly smiling down at me.

"Kailee how long have you known?" Mal asks suddenly. "Knowed what?" I question looking at her curiously. "Your dad told me that you know I spelled him," Mal says. "Yeah I do," I start looking at her with a frown. "Mal why'd ou do tha? You coulda said somethin', I would've helped." I continue, Mal seems shocked by this. "Daddy wicked ou from day one, so dids I. Sides your way better than Audrey." I finish looking up at her with a warm smile that could make Olaf melt.

"Mal I asked ou if you werwe a pwincess when I met ou, are you suwe or not one?" Mal laughs,"pretty sure Kailee." I shake my head still smiling, "well if ou werwe you'd be the nicesest pwincess I eber met."

~~Time Skip~~

I sit in my throne to the right of grandma, while Mal stands in the front row. The rest of the vks are in the balcony with most of the rest of the student body. All of the people looking up here is really over whelming, it's making me frown. Out of the corner of my eye I notice Mal making silly faces trying to cheer me up. I start to giggle totally forgetting about all of the people watching me.

As soon as the children's choir begins to sing everyone falls silent. The doors open and daddy begins to make his way slowly down he hall. Is this why it takes so long, Daddy has to walk slower than a sloth? Grandpa, grandma and I all rise from are thrones and watch as daddy draws nearer. Everyone bows as he passes, even the balcony people, even Mal.

FG comes up from behind our thrones. First she hugs grandma, then bows to grandpa and removes his crown. Daddy kneels before ready to take his place as King. FG carefully places it on his head then turns back for her wand.

Grandpa carfully lifts the protective glass case off the wand so that grandma can take it. The wand really is beautiful, white with gold metal swirling around it. Grandma hands the wand over to FG with a smile.

"Do you solemnly swear to govern the peoples of Auradon with justice and Mercy as long as you shall reign?" FG asks. What the heck does solemnly mean? "I do solemnly swear," daddy replies. "Then it is my honor and my joy to bless our new king," FG says tapping the wand on each of daddy's shoulders.

Suddenly a hand snatches the wand from FG, making the whole room gasp. The wand crackles and whooshes, before sending a bright beam of magic through the window.

"Child, what are you doing?!" FG yells running down a few steps. "If you won't make me beautiful I'll do it myself!" Jane shouts back clearly struggling to control the wand. I run over and hide behind Mal, daddy stand protectively in front of us. "Bibbidi-bobbidi-boo!" Jane tries, nothing happens. "Take cover!" Grandpa orders, trying to protect both grandma and FG.

Mal takes charge, she rushes forward and fights the wand from Jane. "Careful, Mal!" Grandma shouts. Jane runs back into the crowd knowing she's lost.

"Mal, give me the wand." Daddy says calmly, standing between Mal, my grandparents, FG, and I. "Stand back," Mal orders holding the wand in front of her. The rest of the VKs burst through the door and rush in behind her. "It's okay," daddy tries keeping me behind him. "Ben, I said stand back!" Mal repeats.

"I told you so!" Audrey shouts standing before the crowd. "Your not helping," I growl causing her to stand down.

"Let's go!" Carlos calls. "Revenge time," Jay adds. Why do they want revenge? I thought we gave them a second chance, I thought they were good.

"You really want to do this?" Daddy asks, Mal looks like she's about to cry. "We have no choice, Ben! Our parents--" Mal starts. "Your parents made their choice. Now you make yours." Daddy interjects, I poke my head out from behind him and nod.

"I think I want to be good," Mal says unsurely. "You are good," Daddy says. "How do you know that?" Mal demands. "Because...because I'm listening to my heart," daddy answers. "I want to listen to my heart, too. And my heart is telling me that we are not our parents." Mal starts turning to her friends.

"I mean, stealing things doesn't make you happy. Tourney and victory pizza with the team makes you happy." Mal says first turning to Jay. "Yeah!" A boy from the crowd whoops. "And you, scratching Dude's belly makes you happy. Who would've thought." Mal laughs turning to Carlos. "And Evie...You do not have to play dumb to get a guy. You are so smart." Mal says sharing a laugh with Evie.

"And I don't want to take over the world with evil. It doesn't make me happy. I want to go to school. And be with Ben and Kailee." Mal starts turning to face us. "Because Ben and Kailee make me really happy." Mal continues holding up the hand with daddy's ring on it. "Us being friends makes me really happy. Not destroying things." Mal says turning back to her friends.

"I choose good, you guys." Mal smiles holding out one of her hands. For a few minutes none of the other Vk's join her in the hands in."I choose good, too." Jay joins putting his hand in. "I choose good," Evie laughs adding her hand too.

"So, just to be clear, we don't have to be worried about how really mad our parents will be." Carlos clarifies, all of us laugh. "Because they're gonna be really, really mad," Carlos laughs. "Your parents can't reach you here," daddy assures. "Okay, then. Good." Carlos says putting his hand in. Mal looks back at us and uses her head to gesture us over. Daddy grins picking me up, he walks over and we both put our hands in. Mal smiles warmly resting her head on daddy's free shoulder.

An explosion breaks through the peace causing everyone in the room to gasp and scream. It scares daddy making him stumble back nearly dropping me. A cloud of green smoke swirls through the room landing between daddy and I, and the vks. "I'm back!" A horned woman sings. My eyes widen, oh no it's her. It's the evil woman from nightmares, it's Mal's mommy.