Chapter 2

“Mommy, when we going to ChaCha’s house?” her voice bounced around the room that once belonged to Darin and I, but now was Kayden’s new one. After what had happened, I knew I couldn’t stay in the room any longer. Too many memories surfaced whenever night rolled around and I was trying to summon myself to sleep. However, Kayden was thrilled to be receiving such a big room. It was her “big, good girl” room, as she so called it.

 It was Thanksgiving Day, and as always, it was frantic. I desperately forced Kayden into her Thanksgiving outfit and was running around the house getting my side dish ready to carry over to my mother’s. Before I had even gotten the chance to tell Kayden not to get her outfit dirty, she had spilled cranberry sauce all about it and therefore I was rushing to get it washed and put back on.

 Kayden found the situation hilarious. I did not, though I couldn’t keep a straight face whenever Kayden mimicked the scene over and over again. She’d throw her arms in the air and make them come crashing down, all along providing sound to make the story more enjoyable each time.

 “As soon as mommy can get her food ready and you back in that outfit,” I replied, rushing back into the kitchen to check on the green bean casserole. I turned the burner down as the Cream of Mushroom rose to a boil. Kayden had followed behind, watching as I stirred the soup and added the green beans.

 “I help,” she stated as she tugged on my slacks. She giggled as I picked her up and place her on my hip. I gave her the spoon and she openly accepted, stirring the green beans around. I smiled at her as she looked back at me to make sure I accepted.

 “Good job, bug,” I said giving her a quick squeeze before grabbing the spoon and placing her back on the ground. She looked back up with me in a pout, which I ignored. I didn’t have time to allow her to slowly stir the pot.

 “Go put on your outfit,” I said as she took off in a sprint down the hall. “And don’t get it dirty.”

 “Okay mommy,” her voice radiated. I sighed and rolled my eyes as I added the bread straws to the top and placed the casserole in the oven for a few minutes. I sat down in the breakfast barstool and leaned into my hand. It still hit me every now and then knowing that Darin wasn’t going to come through the front door, bearing gifts and love. Now, however, I knew that the love was a lie and the gifts were only to soften the blow.

 Kayden did not take it well. She started to bawl as Darin told her he wasn’t going to be staying, nor coming over anymore. My poor baby didn’t understand why. As her tears poured out I wanted to slap him. He had hurt me and that was one thing, but he crushed my baby’s heart and that was a totally different story. Kayden sat at the front door for the rest of the day hoping he’d come back. I eventually picked her up and placed her in bed, seeing she had fallen asleep at her post.

 It broke my heart seeing my daughter like that. I wanted to make everything right again, but the only one who was at fault was Darin. He broke my little family. He broke the family we were going to have. He cut that chain and sent us falling down the cliff, not once looking back from the top.

 I had kissed her head and shut the door to her bedroom, keeping quiet as I shut off all the lights in the house and laying down in bed. That night, she had snuck into my room, fell asleep in my bed cuddled up to the stuffed elephant Darin had gotten her at the zoo. It has been a week and she still insists on sleeping with it.