Chapter 14

I opened the door, hoping to not wake my daughter. I could feel the anger radiating off of Teresa as she stood in front of me. I was curious as to why she was here, but I was angry that she came banging on my door.

 “Can I help you?” I asked in a harsh whisper. Teresa didn’t even catch the hint, considering she stormed passed me and into the living room. She ducked her head into the kitchen, looking for something, before turning to look at me with slit eyes and continuing throughout my apartment.

 “Excuse you?” I asked, shutting the door behind me and chasing after her. Apparently, she and Blake had no sense of manners. I found Teresa in the living room, putting tennis shoes on my daughter’s feet. I watched in disbelief. I shook my head and charged over to her, ripping them off my sleeping daughter. It’s a good thing Kayden was a heavy sleeper.

 “What do you think you’re doing?” Teresa yelled at me. She ripped the shoes from my hand and started to put them back on. I did the only thing I could think of. The sound of a hand slapping a cheek radiated through my house.

 Teresa dropped the shoe and looked at me in complete rage. She stood up slowly, looking me dead in the eye, making me regret, kind of, what I had done. She made her way slowly to me, her finger pointed out in front of her.

 “What the hell did you do?” she said through slit teeth. She stepped closer and I took a step back.

 “You’re not taking my daughter,” I stated. I crossed my arms, watching as she got up in my face. I could smell the remnants of onion on her breath and I had to hold my breath to keep it from entering my nose.

 “Actually, I am. I think I have custody over her, if I recall,” Teresa smirked. She went to turn around when I grabbed her shoulder, whipping her back around.

 “No, you’re not,” I growled. I wasn’t up for this and if she woke my daughter, I’d kill her. She needed some rest and I wasn’t going to let some woman come in here and take her.

 “I am. You want to fight me? Take it up with the judge.”

 “I don’t think you’ll have much custody of her once you and Blake split. It’s kind of hard to keep control of a man that doesn’t love you anymore,” I laughed. Teresa’s eyes shot daggers in my direction. I could practically see the smoke pouring from her ears. I smirked, satisfied that I might have won this battle.

 “We’re not splitting up,” Teresa said flatly. She brushed her hair from her face before turning back again. I let her go this time. I wasn’t going to stop her because I was right. She wasn’t going to have her for very long.

 “He loves me.”

 I laughed. She whipped around to look at me wondering why I found this so funny. I watched as her lip twitched.

 “Really? Because I recall your ‘fiancé’ coming over here to confess his love for me,” I said. I watched her face contort into a mixture of disbelief and anger. She stepped closer, contemplating something in her mind. Finding this amusing, I couldn’t just stop there.