Chapter 8

“I’m sorry. I can not accept your application, Mrs. Murphy. Due to prior circumstances, you must be cleared before we can even look at it,” the lady claimed. She wore long, curly, brown hair and a tight smile. I sighed, thanking her before heading out the front door.

 This was my fourth stop today in applying for a job, yet all of them failed. Blake had ruined everything I had proposed. He really had destroyed my life.

 The thought of me not being able to pay for the utilities or for Kayden’s education crept into my mind. What would we do if I couldn’t pay the bills? Would we live on the street? Would I lose Kayden? The thought of Anthony helping me with everything made me feel weak. I wasn’t weak. I was strong. I’d find a way if it hurt me even more than Blake already had.

* * * * *

 I opened the door to find Anthony and Kayden in the kitchen. Kayden was perched on the counter watching as Anthony mixed something in a bowl. She was in awe and watching his every move soaking it whatever he was making. She turned to see me and practically flew off the counter and into my arms. Her strawberry scent instantly calming all the frustration and worry within me.

 “Mommy, Antoni is making brownies,” she exclaimed. I smiled at her and kissed her forehead. I wrapped my arms around my daughter hoping that everything would work out fine so she could watch Anthony make brownies another time. I couldn’t bare the thought of telling my daughter that we couldn’t afford to do such things.

 I pushed the thoughts away and made my way over to Anthony, standing behind him and wrapping my arms around his waist. I heard Kayden squeal, run, and hide as I kissed him. I chuckled under my breath and moved to stand next to him. He turned to look at me, brownie mix splattered on his face. I put my finger up to wipe it and licked the mixture off of it.

 “Are you okay?” Anthony asked, noticing the stress that had built up on my face. I sighed, leaning down onto the counter, propping my head up with my hand. I glanced over at him and shook my head slightly, not wanting Kayden to know that something was wrong.

 “It’s been a rough day. Blake has completely ruined me,” I sighed, poking my finger into the bowl and licking my finger. Anthony swatted at my hand lightly and I smiled slightly. With everything that had been going on, he didn’t seem to really care that I was licking out of the bowl continuously with the same finger.

 “You’ll find something,” he reassured me.

 “I’m not so sure. The lady at Restate Plus told me that my application couldn’t even be examined because I was arrested and I haven’t been released yet. I won’t be released until after court. So until then, I’m lost,” I sighed, feeling a lump rise up in my throat. Anthony sat the spatula he was currently using to mix the brownies down. He crossed over to me, wrapping his arms around my shoulders and pulled me close.

 I felt his lips meet my scalp and then trail down my neck. I sighed in response and he flipped me around. I was now facing the most handsome man on the planet.