Chapter 7

“Isbell? I have to ask you something,” Anthony’s voice echoed across the room. I turned around to face Anthony who was perched on the outer corner of the bed, hands thrown behind him. I could tell that the question was serious by the way he continued to stare in my direction, forcing me to retreat from the bureau and sit down next to him. I placed my hands in his lap and looked into his eyes.

 “Yes?” He opened his mouth and hesitated. Nothing came out of the gaping hole. I looked over at him with a quizzical expression, not sure where this was going. It was unlike him to be at a loss for words. I pulled my hand up and stroked his cheek, falling to his chin and then leaned in to kiss him. Whatever it was he had to say, he could.

 “What do you think about marriage?” he quickly asked. I let out all the air in my lungs, taken aback at the question. I sat there, confusion and shock covering my face. I couldn’t believe this was something that made him nervous.

 I let out a smirk before patting his knee and standing up. I glanced in the mirror and instantly sadness overcame me. I tiptoed over to the bureau, Anthony watching my every move, probably wondering why it was taking me so long to answer.

 I couldn’t help it. I knew where this was going. He was going to ask me about marriage, wait a few days, maybe weeks and then pop the question. I mean, I know we have only been together for a couple of months, but I felt something with him. He sparked my fire. However, as I stared at myself in the mirror, I couldn’t ignore the knot that was tugging at my heart. There was something missing. Something I couldn’t place my finger on. Something just didn’t feel right at the words he had said. I knew that I wanted this more than anything, I loved Anthony. Yet, I couldn’t shake the feeling that when I was with him, I wasn’t full. I wasn’t complete.

 Anthony got up from the bed and walked over to me, placing his hands around my waist and leaning into me, resting his head in the gape of my neck. I felt his lips crash against my neck before he glanced up me in the mirror. Worry was written across his face and I knew that I had to give him an answer. He deserved that.

 I turned around, lacing my hands around his neck. I stood on my tiptoes and kissed him. I pushed the thoughts that were swirling in my head and the tugging at my heart aside. Anthony was all that mattered to me. I loved him.

 “With you? I’d say I do,” I whispered. I could see his face practically light up. My heart started to soar and instantly I felt the weight lift from my shoulders. Maybe I was over thinking things. Maybe none of this was really going on and I was just terrorizing myself.

* * * * *

 “And today on JKLW news, we announce that Isbell Murphy, the mother convicted of possessing marijuana and neglecting her daughter, is now a victim of something else entirely. Pictures of Murphy have appeared online and have been sent across town,” the anchorwoman said. She turned to face the anchorman, blonde hair, blue eyed. The camera flashed to him, the smirk plastered across his face. My heart stopped. This couldn’t be happening.

 “Seems to me like she’s getting herself out there, doesn’t it Tom?” the woman asked. She let out a laugh, leaning in slightly to the man. He turned to her, shuffling his papers under his hands and glancing back at the camera.