Chapter 4

“How did it go?” he asked. I put my car keys on the kitchen island. Holding Kayden, I carried her through the house and laid her in bed. I kissed her forehead and shut the door, sighing in the process. I couldn’t believe Blake had walked back into our lives. I couldn’t believe he had the audacity to talk to me like he had.

 I walked back into the kitchen to a patiently waiting Anthony. He held out his arms for me to embrace. I leaned my head against his chest as he placed a hand on my face. I felt a single tear fall from my eyes and pretty soon many followed. Slowly, he raised my head to meet his and he looked deeply into my eyes. At the moment, I forgot everything. All that surrounded me was the cold air conditioning and the love that radiated from Anthony’s arms.

“Are you okay?” he asked. I gave him a sly smile and leaned my head back against his shoulder. I shook my head. I felt his embrace tighten. Before I knew it, I was being lifted up from the ground and carried into my bedroom. He placed me on the bed and laid down next to me. He wrapped his arms back around me and pulled me close. I felt his lips crash against my forehead. I closed my eyes and took in the feeling that coursed through my veins.

 “Isbell, I have something to tell you,” he whispered. I glanced up at him and looked into his eyes. I was curious as to what he had to say. I could see him forming the words, a little nervous to say them. I kissed his lips letting him know that it was fine, whatever he had to say. I could take anything. I felt him sigh and then he turned to fully face me.

 “Isbell Murphy, I love you,” he said. My heart stopped at the words. I felt like the world stopped in that moment. A smile formed on my lips and I could tell that he was getting nervous by the silence that succumbed the room.

 “And I love you,” I whispered back. At that moment, everything turned magical. The way his body moved against mine, the way he looked into my eyes throughout the whole night, made me forget about everything that had happened to me today. I forgot about Blake and the hell he has put me through. I forgot about what he had done to me. This moment was focused on me and Anthony and the love that was shining through.

 There was a knock on my front door.

 Kayden came running into my room, throwing herself up on the bed and continuing to jump up and down until Anthony and I woke up. I opened my eyes and came face to face with my daughter’s blue eyes. I smiled, planting a kiss on her cheek. She laughed and plopped down between the two of us.

 “Mommy, the door,” she whispered placing her hand over my chest. I sighed, lifting up from the bed. I slipped out from under the covers, placing my feet in my slippers and wrapping a robe around my body. I proceeded to the front door, Kayden following close behind.

 I opened the door to a very livid Blake Williamson.

 Kayden came up behind me and poked her head around my legs. Blake eyed her before letting himself in. I glared at him as he pushed passed me and made his way for the living room. I couldn’t remember the last time Blake had set foot in this house. I could tell, even from behind, the distress and anger that was building up inside his stout body. His hands shook vigorously and I could tell he was steadying his breathing.

 He turned to face me. His eyes bore into mine. I felt myself become uneasy and Kayden pulled on my robe sleeve.

 “Mommy, what’s wrong with this boy?” she asked. I could practically feel Blake’s eyes tearing me apart. I smiled over at my daughter and patted her shoulders. I quickly embraced her and kissed her cheek.

 “Nothing, bug. Go on and sit in my bedroom with Anthony. Okay? I’ll be there in a minute,” I promised. Kayden looked at me with unsure eyes before turning on her heels and exiting the room, her blonde locks bouncing in the process.