Chapter 9

I watched as my mother rose from her seat and made her way to the phone in the kitchen. I felt the breath catch in my throat as she made her journey. I didn’t realize that I was gripping Kayden’s hand when she made a whimpering noise from beside me. I quickly glanced over and kissed Kayden’s hand apologetically. Anthony glanced over at me, eyebrows raised as I hadn’t told him the whole conversation I had earlier.

 The rest of my family, however, were preoccupied with their food to notice my hesitation. My father had asked me how the whole Blake situation was going and me, being hypnotized by the phone ringing, didn’t even reply. Anthony, nevertheless, took up my silence and answered me. I gave him a sympathetic smile. He placed his hand on my knee and gave me a reassuring squeeze, even though I could see in his eyes that he didn’t understand why he was comforting me in the first place.

 It seemed like ages before my mother retreated back to the table. No one seemed notice her entrance except me. I frantically searched my mother’s face for any answers that would lead me to understand whatever conversation my mother had with whoever was on the phone.

 “Are you okay, Isbell?” my mother asked noticing the hard stare I was giving my mother. I shook my head slightly, getting myself out of the trance I had placed myself in. She looked at me with concern and I gave her a smile back.

 “Yeah, I’m fine. Just have a lot on my mind,” I replied. I quickly picked up the fork that laid next to my plate and took my first bite of the tuna casserole. Though I was forcing myself to eat, I couldn’t help but feel anxious about the phone call. I needed to know what was said and who had said it. It could only be about the whole court scenario.

 “So, Anthony, I never got fully introduced the last time you were here. Madison never really gave him time to talk to me,” my mother exclaimed. Before I could answer, Anthony cut in.

 “I’m so sorry, Mrs. Murphy. I apologize. My name is Anthony Cox. I work at Briarcliff EMC as a surgeon,” he stated. I saw my mother’s face morph into acceptance and her face curled up into a smile.

 “A surgeon? So you must make a butt-load of money?” she asked. I glanced over at Anthony as a smile formed on his face. His brown eyes shined as she mentioned this. He had always loved talking about how much money he made a year.

 Men.

 “Yes I do, Mrs. Murphy. I make enough to cover expenses and a little extra, extra on the side,” he beamed.

 “So you’re taking care of my daughter then?” my father butted in. I laughed slightly at his question. Even though I was twenty-three years old, my father still made sure the man I was with was treating me right, especially after the whole Blake incident.

 “Of course, sir,” he answered.

 “Good to hear it, lad,” he claimed before digging another bite of his tuna casserole.

 It was silent for the next few minutes, which surprised me. It was never quiet at the Murphy household. Ever.